• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Line Question

studentcareer

New to Steel Soldiers after I just bought a 77' M882 from the forest service in Maine. Pretty darn excited. I had a bunch of questions but already found answers in prior postings. Much thanks to all. I see a big learning experience coming for sure.

After driving the truck home, I realized that 3 out of 4 brakes were engaged. I opened the master cylinder and the fluid looked like pudding. When I pulled the calipers off and drained them it looked more like motor oil than fluid. Would the condition of the fluid have caused this? Is it possible to drain and clean/flush out the brake lines?

thanks in advance!

acmunro

I would flush the steel lines and reuse them if they are not rusty and replace the master cylinder, hoses, calipers, and wheel cylinders. Can't be too safe where brakes are concerned.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can attempt to gravity flush them.
Loosen 1 wheel cylinder bleeder (with a hose to a container) and leave the M/C cap loose
keep the M/C full and when fresh fluid comes out move to the next wheel.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks came from the military with silicone brake fluid in them. Look for a yellow tag on the dash or elsewhere on the truck under the hood that specifies that. If some well meaning person puts normal brake fluid in them, it turns the silicone fluid to jelly. Silicone is expensive, but it does not draw water and rust brake parts like normal brake fluid does. If you do not want to go the cost of silicone, you can completely flush the system with pressure and put in regular brake fluid suitable for disc brakes. Either way, you need to flush the system to get the contaminated fluid out.
Regards Marti

citizensoldier

If they are the original rubber lines I would replace them all and check the steel lines real close for rust... The brake parts for these trucks are pretty cheap compared to most. The rubber lines get dry rotted and will collapse onto themselves resulting in pulling, sponginess and other issues. It does sound like someone mixed Dot 3 with Silicone fluid. You can probably save the calipers and wheel cylinders by flushing them out but I would replace everything else.:grin:

studentcareer

It does appear as though the fluids were mixed. The rubber lines appear okay (no cracks or other obvious damage) but I am going to replace them anyway. The steel lines appear fine.

I opened up the brake lines on the front and drained them but very little fluid has come out so I am thinking that the lines are clogged with thick fluid.

thanks everyone for the help.