• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake pull

MATT

OK, 86 1008 has a brake pull to the right front. I jacked the front end up and free spun the tires, the right front is dragging very badly. I can barley spin it. I took the hub all apart and everything is ok. The caliper shim was very difficult to remove, I had to hammer the heck out of it. with the caliper removed the rotor spins freely, so it is a problem with the caliper/caliper bracket. I tired to install the caliper again and I can't even get the shim started, I finally got it in there and the caliper is crooked on the rotor. Spun the tires a few times and thought it was fixed. I hit the brake pedal a few times and the caliper got even more crooked and now the tire is dragging again. The calipers are brand new and I lubed the slides very good. Has anyone seen the caliper bracket/steering knuckle being bent? I dont see any thing obvious. I also tried new brake hardware(shims).

ANy ideas?

IBEZKUM

Many times, It's not the caliper at all, clogged line's and / or Bad hoses.
Inside the hoses the rubber detiorates, acting like a check valve,
Fluid moving in one direction, Under pressure your caliper works.
But won't release,
I would disconect the brake lines at the master cylinder and caliper,
Try to blow them out With compressed air, see what comes out.
Then replace the hoses with new ones.
If you drive it like that,
You will burn up the rotor, caliper and maybe your truck!
BE CAREFUL AND GOOD LUCK!

MATT

The brake hoses are new steel braided type. I can visually see that the caliper is cocked on the caliper bracket.

CCATLETT1984

I've never heard of the caliper bracket bending.

I would suspect an issue with the caliper or the rotor, with the caliper off, can you see any side to side motion of the rotor while spinning. the bendix brake calipers are always hard to start the key in the bottom, you do have the little spring in there, right?

I can take some measurements on the axle on my truck for you to compare to, let my know if I can be of assistance.

MATT

I dont see any run out on the rotor, I will put a mic on it tomorrow to be sure. Yes I have the spring in there too. I have never seen the caliper bracket bending either, it is pretty stout! Thanks

MATT

Well I found the problem. The new caliper I installed has a different casting on the inside of the caliper. It must of been binding. I installed a used caliper off another front diff and no problems. The caliper shim went in very smoothly on this one. I got a new(reman) cailper from Napa and this one works(the right casting). Maybe boxed wrong or something? Oh well it is fixed- I have been getting new bad parts from the parts houses lately, very frusterating. Thanks to all who responded.