• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Question for M812 also Sam Winer?

Just finished adjusting all of the brakes on the truck. M812 bridge truck. Some were gapped kind of heavy and one of the front wheels actually had the adjustment cam completely off the shoe tab. All is correctly adjusted and working. We thought this would fix our low pedal feel a little but to no avail.

When the truck is off/no air pressure the brake pedal which has no slop in the linkage will plunge into the master cylinder approx 3" before any resistance is felt. The pedal is firm at that point and doesn't feel to have any leaks/bypassing. All wheel cylinder and lines are dry. Master cylinder is full of fluid. The truck running with full air pressure has the same pedal feel. Any ideas? Brakes in current state cannot even come close to locking up rear end on gravel.

Is this a bad master cylinder? I'm tempted to replace the air pack when I'm in there. The cheapest quotes so far are from Sam Winer for a new not rebuilt master cylinder and air pack. $95 master cylidner and $295 for a new airpack. Has anyone bought anything from them as I'm familiar with CSI and Clark but they were quite a bit higher.

Thanks again,
Andy

anybody?

I thought I would have some responses by now. I just want to make sure Sam Winer's parts have a good reputation around here. Any ideas on my brake problems would be appreciated also.
Thanks,
Andy

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: anybody?

I have bought obscure items from Sam Winer in the past - IIRC, I dealt with Robert Zetzer there - I may not have spelled that correctly.

Everything I got was as described by him, and shipped in a timely manner.

Regards,
David Doyle

Rattlehead

RE: anybody?

Robert is the guy who does the mil surplus parts. Nice guy, and they are a good company to deal with, I have ordered many parts from them. If you order early enough, they usually get it shipped that day.

Thanks David. Rattlehead- We bled each wheel and the master cylinder and air pack bleed screws and no bubbles. The brake pedal is firm once it goes to the firm spot and holds firm. I just don't like how the pedal goes 3" down before anything happens.

Andy

brakes

It won't pump up any. The pedal engages at the same spot each time. We just order the master cylinder and air pack from Sam Winer so hopefully one of these fixes the issue.

How's the 250 turbo project coming along?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks