• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake repair

Chipwest

I just purchased a 1966 M35 a2. The previous owner rebuilt the master cylinder. When I started the truck and pushed on the brake pedal, the pedal went about half way down . When I released it it came back up and was very stiff . Only going down about an inch or so. The previous owner thought maybe a wheel cylinder is sticking. Anyone tell me where I should start looking to repair the brake system. It has the short air pack and appears to only build about 60 psi of air pressure. Thank you in advance

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you reapplied the brake the second time, did the truck stop? Sounds like air is in the system. Oh and for sure fix the compressed air system such that you get 100 psi.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just purchased a 1966 M35 a2. The previous owner rebuilt the master cylinder. When I started the truck and pushed on the brake pedal, the pedal went about half way down . When I released it it came back up and was very stiff . Only going down about an inch or so. The previous owner thought maybe a wheel cylinder is sticking. Anyone tell me where I should start looking to repair the brake system. It has the short air pack and appears to only build about 60 psi of air pressure. Thank you in advance
You didn't mention how long the truck might have been sitting. Six weeks? Six months? More?

You could have an air problem (you mentioned 60#) and it might just be water from condensation in the brake lines - that eventually flow downstream to the wheel cylinders (brake cylinders). Not always, but if the brake peddle seems really still - either a lack of air - or an airpack that is having trouble could be another thing to investigate. Bleeding the brake system should net you some fairly clear fluid. If it looks "rusty" that be the water mentioned before...

You can bleed the brakes by yourself. Make yourself a power bleeder from a weed sprayer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks