• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake shudder question

MattNC

I've had my M998 for 4 years and the brakes have always shuddered once they heat up ever since the beginning. The pads have plenty of meat left on them, they do not drag as verified both by spinning them up on a lift and also driving for a few miles and slowing down without brakes and feeling the rotors are not hot. In stop and go traffic or city driving the brakes once hot shudder/shimmy pretty well. You definitely feel the pulsing coming through strong. It goes away after a while of cooling down.

Is this normal in a HMMWV? After years of this I thought I'd ping the group's experience. I was wondering if swapping out the rotors and pads may help even though they seem to be in pretty good shape wear-wise.

Kurt Lombard

I've had my M998 for 4 years and the brakes have always shuddered once they heat up ever since the beginning. The pads have plenty of meat left on them, they do not drag as verified both by spinning them up on a lift and also driving for a few miles and slowing down without brakes and feeling the rotors are not hot. In stop and go traffic or city driving the brakes once hot shudder/shimmy pretty well. You definitely feel the pulsing coming through strong. It goes away after a while of cooling down.

Is this normal in a HMMWV? After years of this I thought I'd ping the group's experience. I was wondering if swapping out the rotors and pads may help even though they seem to be in pretty good shape wear-wise.
Did you ever figure out what was causing the shudder? I have a similar issue except I hear a grinding noise too. Pads are fine and it is only when hot.

CapePrep

Time to tear it down and see what is going on!! These brakes are very simple, but you need to do some work

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would suspect rotors or attaching hardware.
Pads were probably changed but not rotors and unlikely they were turned as very few auto parts stores do this anymore.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My DuraVee has been doing that for the 13,000 miles I have driven it, nothing has come loose or broken yet, I suspect the pads are glazed but never cared enough to change them.
As with others it only happens when I heat the brakes up beyond normal driving.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A shudder to me is a vibration. Are you also feeling it in the brake pedal?

If so that is a classic symptom of an out of round uneven worn rotor. Could be just a few thousands of an inch as that is all it takes....wmmv

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A shudder to me is a vibration. Are you also feeling it in the brake pedal?

If so that is a classic symptom of an out of round uneven worn rotor. Could be just a few thousands of an inch as that is all it takes....wmmv
In my case it is nothing like say a late model vehicle that has had the lug nuts over tightened causing the rotors to be warped.
It is more of a deep growling that resonates through the body but there is no feeling of pulsation in the pedal, I have checked all the usual suspects for tightness.
It only happens when the brakes are heated beyond normal and has not changed in the 13K miles I have put on the truck, so I just don't worry too much about it....

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my case it is nothing like say a late model vehicle that has had the lug nuts over tightened causing the rotors to be warped.
It is more of a deep growling that resonates through the body but there is no feeling of pulsation in the pedal, I have checked all the usual suspects for tightness.
It only happens when the brakes are heated beyond normal and has not changed in the 13K miles I have put on the truck, so I just don't worry too much about it....
It happens to me as well. I installed new pads and rotors a few miles ago (less than 500) and it does the same with new parts. Not as much thought but noticeable.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I remember hearing one of the experts in the past saying it's a common thing, and not really much you can do about it. I know my brakes had a lot of shudder for a long time, but I either got used to it, or just haven't noticed it much lately.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake shudder from the rears after new pads and rotors is quite common, it’s a real PITA to convince customers after spending a bunch of money this is normal…beveled edge on pads is some help, but unfortunately with these floating pads and a job done correctly, it just takes time to burnish them in, the bigger issue is that most H1 and hmmwv owners are Sunday drivers and don’t put a ton of miles on the truck and it can literally take a year or longer to get it to quiet down…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks