• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake upgrade options

Finnegan1008

I think the stock brakes are perfectly adequate, but I have wondered what options are out there if I ever decide to upgrade in the future.

Are there any junkyard bolt on parts that can be used a worth while upgrade?

nyoffroad

depends on what you have, I have disc brakes in the rear and the kit is available or you can fab up your own easy peasy, but that's for full floating rear ends.

87cr250r

Convert to DOT 3 or 4 fluid. I haven't done this. I did rebuild my calipers and had a clear waterline on the pistons. Or, remember to turn your calipers upside-down when you flush the fluid.

With that said, I've never heard of any complaints with the brakes on the civy trucks. It's a system built by Bendix and is in many trucks by many manufacturers.

OEM pads aren't available anymore. I've had issues with aftermarket pads spitting shims and squealing a lot. I bought Wagner pads last time as they don't use shims. The front has been good. My rear shoes wore down due to an oil leak. I'll replace them eventually. It cut a step in the drum so I'll have to replace the drums as well.

Last edited:

Barrman

Hawk brand brake pads on the front make a huge difference.

2000 or newer Chevy truck rear axle with disc rear brakes that have the top had drum parking brakes. Fabrication required.

Ilikemtb999

There’s a company that allows you to put modern 2500 brakes or dodge brakes on a Dana 60. I’ve got the 2500 setup with slip on rotors

Ilikemtb999

Was is a worth while upgrade? Either better stopping or cheaper consumables?
I haven’t driven it with them yet but I had an 07 Sierra with them and they were great. I can’t stand the single piston d60 ones. I also had the calipers already, bought Yukon brand hubs and turned them down on a manual lathe and then the rotors just slip right over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks