• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brakes lock up after sitting a while

Cobbtowncowman

I have a M1078 that I have owned for about a year that I picked up at Ft. Steward. Here in Southeastern Georgia it can be pretty humid and gets a good amount of rain. I use it pretty regularly, but when it sits for a while, especially if it's been wet, the brakes lock. I had a M35a2 for about ten years and never had any problems. Is this a common problem with the M1078 and what does the military do (what can I do) to stop this. It's a pain in the a** when I need to use it to have to break the brake shoes loose to move.

Cobbtowncowman

Thanks, but apparently I'll have to do this weekly. I think I may look into ditching the M1078 and go to a M35a3, if there's not a fix. Here at the farm, our trucks sit a lot between use. I would believe the military trucks do also, especially in reserve units.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Very easy fix for this. Brakes are open on these trucks. The pads rust stuck to the drums. Chock all 4 wheels well. Can't emphasize this enough. All 4. Air up truck release brakes. Peek and you can see which pad or pads are stuck. Take a big screwdriver and at the edge of the pad give it a pry and it will pop free.

FloridaAKM

A trick shown to me for the LMTV brakes is to put chocks on the tires & cage the brakes after parking. Don't fully lock them down, just to the point where the air is holding the shoes off the drums. When you want to use it again, start the truck & when the brakes are @ operating pressure, pop out the caging bolts and you are on your way. Store the caging bolts in the holder supplied for them & it is only an inconvenience unless you use the truck more often & then the shoes should not rust to the drums.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m going to add that upgrading the air dryer keeps the inside of the air brake system cleaner with less corrosion. This may not be the whole problem, but certainly can be a contributing factor.

quickfarms

The problem is the wedge brakes. The wedges usually get stuck.

Unless you have been driving in the rain the shoes are probably not rusted to the drums.

Water in the air is an issue in freezing temperatures and with some valves.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A trick shown to me for the LMTV brakes is to put chocks on the tires & cage the brakes after parking. Don't fully lock them down, just to the point where the air is holding the shoes off the drums. When you want to use it again, start the truck & when the brakes are @ operating pressure, pop out the caging bolts and you are on your way. Store the caging bolts in the holder supplied for them & it is only an inconvenience unless you use the truck more often & then the shoes should not rust to the drums.
Who showed you the trick of caging the brakes for storage? Yea if they sit for awhile just cage the brakes is simple and easy.

Sweep

I’m going to add that upgrading the air dryer keeps the inside of the air brake system cleaner with less corrosion. This may not be the whole problem, but certainly can be a contributing factor.
I've had my brakes lock-up also. So what air dryer do I up grade to? I have the old one, fins on the out side.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Tube with fins is a lousy outdated dryer. But has nothing to do with pads sticking to the drum. Thats from time and moisture outside. The moisture inside gunks up all your air brake valves. A newer air dryer will help with that.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a new air dryer and I still got lock up. As someone said without dust shields the ground rain splatter gets all over the shoes / drums and long term they lock together. Mine are caged as I don't use the MTV now that I have the M915A2.

Moostang

There’s not much you can do but cage them. 1088 is easier to just chock wheels, release brakes and tap the shoes with a long bar and hammer. I’ve been working on them since 1998

Reworked LMTV

This can be an expensive problem if you drag a tire and flat spot it. I have heard you can get them resurfaced though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks