• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brakes

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
OK, odd question and someone will probably have to actually do this to see. What is the average air pressure applied to the brake service line to apply the brakes for normal stopping?

dmetalmiki

What is reading on the truck gauge.
That same pressure is also in the emergency line.
Any towed 'Item' Has this pressure in their system. (Available).

Low Air = No go.

Low Air in the towed Item = No Go.

Last edited:

Ronmar

The pedal is a variable regulator so 0-120(or whatever is in the service tanks). You would have to put a gauge on a service line to answer your question.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Yes but I don't have a LMTV to put the line on so I was asking someone to check it. Maybe not clear. Would someone with a LMTV and with a glad hand air line, put the line on the service side with a gauge on the line in the cab so you can monitor pressure. What is the pressure with normal braking?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
OK, well my M-35 with a 'not M-35 brake system' has brakes at 10 psi, normal stopping at 20-25 psi and applied hard at 30-35 psi so I am wondering if it will work the brakes on a LMTV

Ronmar

You got me curious and I remembered the vented gladhand covers from the front are 1/8” NPT. Removed a vent and added a gauge then hooked it to the service gladhand at the back. I got 0-100 PSI that varied in a linear fashion with pedal position... 10 psi static sounds weird and 35 PSI sounds low for a fully applied air brake system... Did you have the EMER air applied when you tested?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
just need someone with a air line that they use from the emergency side to put it on the service side with a pressure gauge to see what normal brakes register.

Ronmar

Ok, well cannot really watch it while driving, but it takes about 50 psi using just enough pedal to bring it from a roll to a stop at idle in 2nd. It took around 75 psi to do the same thing in first...

Ronmar

That is PSI on a gauge connected to the rear service gladhand. Had my grandson driving and after releasing the brakes and rolling, he used just enough pedal to bring it to a stop, I would read the pressure behind the truck as it came to a stop... Having him depress the pedal hard yielded just over 100 psi this time...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks