• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Break away on Surge Brake

LEEBS

The break away switch on the surge break for my M101a1 loosely flops back and forth. There's no tension (should there be?). Anyone know of any repair tutorials/ videos?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The break away switch on the surge break for my M101a1 loosely flops back and forth. There's no tension (should there be?). Anyone know of any repair tutorials/ videos?
I'm assuming you mean the M101A2 since the M101A1 does not have surge brakes (unless someone added them).

The lever will move around a bit and isn't totally firm, unless its been pulled forward and locked.

LEEBS

The breakaway lever on my surge brake system doesn't engage anything. It just flops back and forth when moved manually. The "teeth" on the switch do not engage anything. I'm assuming something is broken or misaligned internally?
1000001280.jpg1000001279.jpg

LEEBS

Leebs. You are cross posting. That is a no go. You have a thread of your own. It just makes people confused when you start cross posting.
I dont know what cross posting means! One post was regarding a topic on lug nuts. This post is in regards to the breakaway. Shouldn't these be two separate threads?

LEEBS

The clip is broken off. See the two rivets? There should be a piece of longer tin there, to rest on the teeth, to keep the ratchet from flopping around.
When I flip the ratchet back and forth, it doesn't come in contact with anything. It feels like a loose toggle switch.
Should there be tension or contact with something internally?

Guyfang

Staff member
You posted about this problem, (breakaway lever) in the thread:
Breakaway Lever on M101
and
Breakaway on surge Brake.

When you start trying to work your problem in more that one thread, it can get confusing. The Lug nuts is in only one thread. Not to worry. The KGB is not on the way, and your doing fine. It just helps you get better advice, if folks have to only look at one thread.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes it should, but also the ratchet clip, (Item #3) is broken off. The bottom part of Item 2 should go to the rear when actuated, and press on the brake CYLINDER ASSEMBLY, (item #7)
Have you taken it apart yet?

1710716839917.png

Guyfang

Staff member
I most humbly retract the picture in the thread above. Its from the wrong trailer. THIS is the right picture. It plainly shows the ratchet, #18. When it is activated, the bottom of #18 presses on #'s 17,19 and 22. They press on the brake CYLINDER ASSEMBLY , stopping the trailer. The clip that keeps the ratchet from flopping back and forth is shown here, see the two rivets? But has no part or NSN number. I guess its supposed to never break? But when you activate the brake system you should feel the pressure of the spring.

Attachments

LEEBS

I most humbly retract the picture in the thread above. Its from the wrong trailer. THIS is the right picture. It plainly shows the ratchet, #18. When it is activated, the bottom of #18 presses on #'s 17,19 and 22. They press on the brake CYLINDER ASSEMBLY , stopping the trailer. The clip that keeps the ratchet from flopping back and forth is shown here, see the two rivets? But has no part or NSN number. I guess its supposed to never break? But when you activate the brake system you should feel the pressure of the spring.
Thank you!

LEEBS

You posted about this problem, (breakaway lever) in the thread:
Breakaway Lever on M101
and
Breakaway on surge Brake.

When you start trying to work your problem in more that one thread, it can get confusing. The Lug nuts is in only one thread. Not to worry. The KGB is not on the way, and your doing fine. It just helps you get better advice, if folks have to only look at one thread.
Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks