• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bridge trucks

m139h2otruck

Per one of the posts below, an article on the various bridge trucks by DDoyle would be great! Since we have three (an M812A1, the water truck conversion and the spare M139) it would make for great reading. There seems to be a lot of the M139/M328 trucks around here (New England) that are more or less original. The only problems are that most of them have sat so long that the sheet metal is rusting from lack of care and the low hours/mileage drive-trains are suffering from total lack of use. The spare truck I just picked up is a prime example, having only 10-12,000 miles and low hours (if I believe the gauges). The body has the usual rust in the box section under the rocker panel, and the hood and fender joints are all rusted with some through holes. But the frame, axles, TC and transmission all look nearly new. Even the tires are original 1961 BFG Silvertown 1400x20 NDCC. Iguess most of these will endup as parts trucks due to the width issue and the costs to cut down the body and the frames to make them legal.

acetomatoco

When the Engineer Battalion at Fort Devens, MA was deactivated they turned in their whole bridge company as a unit. The trucks M139s 40 or more went to Surplus and State Agencies got some and auctions got some.. Nate Schwartz in Clinton got 8 or 0, Jim Ricci in PLaistow NH got 6 or so and some M123s... I just recently got two from a town near Worcester, MA..after waiting 10 years for them. I saw two more from the same batch down by the Gillette Stadium in Foxboro two weeks ago... Plattsburg Diesel has a dozen or so etc etc etc...

DMgunn

Well, I took the advice of David Doyle (in the other thread), and sent an email to MVM. I received a very prompt reply from Mr. Adams-Graf saying that a bridge truck article is in the works! Great news for those of us addicted to those wonderful width-endowed trucks. I'm sure it will be quite a ways out, though, judging by the lead time of most magazines......

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chances of me finding an M328 or an M821 close to home in FL are minimal at best. Still want one.

m139h2otruck

Our two trucks came from the Clinton MA area (Berlin) but I understood that a town fire dept had them. Must have been Devens trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks