• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke my trailing arm today - Can this be fixed?

dma251

Take a look at these pics - It looks like the rubber bushing torqued out of the trailing arm when I got a little off-axis today while doing.... Well, I think it's best if I don't say what I was doing...

Anyway, is it now ruined or can it be fixed? How hard is it to change these out? Where is the best place to buy one?

I need a new winch shear pin too. Does Saturn Surplus carry those?

Attachments

derby

I think I recall someone here saying that you can press a new one in? Maybe they will chime in.looks like a serious leak in that rear hub.Is that brake fluid or gear lube? What size tires are you running?

dma251

It's gearlube. I know - This truck has all kinds of leaks. It's time to put some time/money into getting some of them under control. Both the rear right side hub seals are shot.

Tires are 16-20's. I have lots of pics on here of it.

M1075

Yes, you can press in a new one. Looks like you avoided major disaster though. I've seen them fail and the whole axle slide out.

dma251

Yeah, I discovered it when I hit my brakes to slow for a turn and had that 4-wheel steering feeling. I drove it back home about 2 miles going about 25 mph and it was fine. I guess this is a good time to take care of some of the fluid control issues I've been having too.

Does Memphis equipment carry the hub seals and wiper rings (the steel sleeve that wears down against the seal)? I have the part numbers. Are they spendy?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sam Winer Motors ,(330) 628-4881, had the best price on those when I was shopping around for them around $33 a piece for a duece. You can always slide it back on then weld a plate across the back of the old bushing for a temporary fix to hold it on the arm. I think I can imagine what you were doing with that beast, another poor car get in your way? :wink:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if one is bad, check all the rest, if a top one breaks, the axle will roll, takeout the driveshaft and brakes, when i went to replace mine on the 819, the front axle rolled 4" just turning the truck around, not enough to do damage, but if it would have happened on the road doing 60, it would not have been a pretty site, plus all the damange that it would need to be fixed , i would need to buy a new drivers seat cushion

dma251

Re: RE: Broke my trailing arm today - Can this be fixed?

Djfreema said:
Sam Winer Motors ,(330) 628-4881, had the best price on those when I was shopping around for them around $33 a piece for a duece. You can always slide it back on then weld a plate across the back of the old bushing for a temporary fix to hold it on the arm. I think I can imagine what you were doing with that beast, another poor car get in your way? :wink:
I cannot discuss such unspeakable things.... :wink:

dma251

It seems like it would be a pain just getting the two pieces back together. Maybe I'll just wait until I get a new one and deal with it only once. I have to start dealing with the oil leak stuff anyway. How could I get it back together, anyhow?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that fix is what PS mag reccommends in anemergency. Also reccommend not to drive it with the arm off lie your is, so best patch it up first! the article is on this site somewhere, i saw it in the random showing.