• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Sprag

Scoobie-Steve

Today I tried pulling a large stump out and found my front wheels dont engage. What should I do, Is the sprag worth rebuilding. Air shifts seem to be far a few between. Help me out.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Broken??? What if it only needs some maintenance/adjustment of the linkage between tranny and T-case? See TM 9-2520-246-34, 4-28 d. Sprag Unit Test. Jack up one front tire to test it.

Gerhard

davemccoull

Broken sprag

I had same fault when i first got my truck. I pulled the transfer box out, removed the front cover were the sprag clutches are, they were gummed up with old oil, i took them out , washed them in parrafin, stoned any small burrs of them, put it all back together and its worked fine since.
You could try draining oil and giving case agood wash out with degreaser, it might do the trick. It would save pulling box out.
I don,t know if the front cover will come off with the box in place, but as Gerhard says check the linkage first, jack a front wheel upand push operating arm in witha bar, you should only be able to turn wheel one way.Best of luck. I just swapped my sprag box for air shift last week.
Best of luck

Scoobie-Steve

My front wheels for sure didnt engage in frontwards or reverse. I will try adjusting it. and maybe an oil change. Can the sprag assembly be worked on without pulling the t-case?

JasonS

The front case containing the sprag unit can be removed with the transfer case in the truck. There are two sets of sprag clutches; one for forward, one for reverse. The forward sprag will be worn much more than the reverse. It will be obvious when you take it apart. The procedures are well documented in TM9-8022. It would be best if you fully understood how this system works before taking it apart (maybe unnecessarily). New/ rebuilt sprag units are available from the vendors. Be careful, though. The "new" sprag unit that I purchased was not new or rebuilt. I ended up installing a REB kit which replaces the sprag clutch and front drive gears.

davemccoull

Broken sprag

Just another thought, i presume the front propshaft is turning when you have a wheel jacked up and turn it? I wondered if somebody had maybe bored the drive flanges out on the front hubs, to let them freewheel!. Let me know how you go on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks