• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building a m101 cargo box

Googledave

Hi all, first post here. I’m building an m101 cargo box for my m116a2 . Can someone provide me with the side height from the top of floor to top of top rail. Thank you! Dave

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, I applaud your motivation, but why not just buy a bed. I have never fab'ed a bed...or anything for that matter...but I have to believe a lot of work goes into it. I know that some guys want your left b*** for a bed, but keep looking. Regardless, good luck with your project.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi all, first post here. I’m building an m101 cargo box for my m116a2 . Can someone provide me with the side height from the top of floor to top of top rail. Thank you! Dave
Dave,

Welcome to the Outfit!

So, how about some pictures? What are you going to use your trailer for? You mentioned a cargo box. Gonna use it for camping maybe? What are you going to drag the trailer with?

Googledave

Thanks for the welcome! I’m building it to carry mulch sand dirt., lumber, an atv….Nothing cool like camping. But I love the look of the m101a2 box. And I have a lot of scrap steel at home! So the sides are being built with 12gauge sheet . I’m pulling it with a 1997 land cruiser on 35’s. It sits level as is… I’ll get pics soon!

Googledave

Dave, I applaud your motivation, but why not just buy a bed. I have never fab'ed a bed...or anything for that matter...but I have to believe a lot of work goes into it. I know that some guys want your left b*** for a bed, but keep looking. Regardless, good luck with your project.
Well, honestly, I was looking for an m101a2 and a gentleman offered me his m116a2 with new tires for $200… and since I really need a box for mulch and have all the steel I need in my shop.. why not? I know it sounds like a lot of work but it’s really not that bad. That box design is perfect! Strong and super simple.

Googledave

So I have one more request and question. So the sides are 19.84”. But that doesn’t look right at the fender. Looks like distance, in pics, from top rail to top of fender is 6”…

Googledave

So I have one more request and question. So the sides are 19.84”. But that doesn’t look right at the fender. Looks like distance, in pics, from top rail to top of fender is 6”…
I just measured the top or top rail to top of fender and I’m at 12” on the nose. And that’s with 19.84” sides. Could the 116a2 fenders be different than the m101? Or is it just an optical illusion?

Last edited:

Googledave

Can someone measure their cargo box sides for me please. Something is not “jiving” . Either the m116 fenders are a different angle or the tm’s height of 19.84” is wrong. My trailer sides are looking really tall compared to photos I’m looking at. Thanks!

ChrisABQ07

M 101A2 bed - cargo
18" floor to top of bed rail
7 1/8" top of fender to top of bed rail
15 1/2" total fender height
23 3/4" horizontal part of fender (top)
14 3/4" front and back fender slants
-60 degrees downward angle from fender top (from horizontal) - front and rear

M116A2 bed - generator
8" floor to top of fender
11 1/2" total fender height
24" horizontal part of fender (top)
11 3/4" front and back fender slants
-55 degrees downward angle from fender top (from horizontal) - front and rear

M101A2 fenders are taller by 4". Fender angles are slightly different.

Hope this helps

Attachments

Googledave

M 101A2 bed - cargo

M116A2 bed - generator

Hope this helps
Wow that’s is excellent! Thank you so much for the info!! I thought something looked different. That is the confirmation I needed!! Again many thanks!!

Gypsyman

M 101A2 bed - cargo

M116A2 bed - generator

Hope this helps
Great information. Do you happen to have the fender dimension/PDF for a M105A2?

ChrisABQ07

Great information. Do you happen to have the fender dimension/PDF for a M105A2?
Sorry, I don’t have a M105A2 in my green herd. The M101A2 and M116A2 dimensions are from trailers I can walk out and measure. The PDF is for fender extensions on the M101A2 tub due to the wider M116A3 axle/wheels (Hummer related).

If I can get access to a 105, I’ll measure the fenders on it an post the info.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks