• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building a Simple Centrifuge

True Knight

After doing some research off and on for the last few years, I finally decided to start my WMO adventures. I ordered a centrifuge bowl from simple centrifuge and a Baldor motor to get started.

For the bottom base plate I used a 12" round, 1/4" thick plate that has been sitting in the garage for probably 50+ years. I cleaned it up a lot (it was rusty and pitted) and drilled the holes for the motor shaft and mounting. I am having a friend get me a 1/8" thick spacer ring to go between the motor and the plate from scraps he has at work.

For the side wall I got a strip of 1/8" plate (10" wide) cut to 37.7" long to put along the outside of the round plate. I cut a 2" wide strip off to make an inner oil shield to keep oil away from the motor shaft and mounting bolts. I cut this 2" strip to 25.5" to fit close to the outside of the bowl. Now I just have to bend these strips into round circles.

This is my progress so far. I will continue more when I get a few more days off work.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
SO, what speed is the motor? I "know a guy" that used a pressure cooker as his bowl housing, might save you some fab work. Is there a formula to figure G-force of the bowl? Would a larger bowl make more or just give you the ability to clean more oil?

Does it show I have been thinking about making one too?

True Knight

The motor is a 3450 rpm motor. I was thinking of using a steel pot or something, but I had this round plate that was begging to be used for something. And I really enjoy doing fab work, so win win. Ha ha.

The rotor holds quite a bit of oil, and it will be able to clean oil at a higher rate than I will probably ever put through it. There are some g-force calculators on the simple centrifuge website. I liked this type of system best because I can set the oil flow as fast or as slow as I want.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334289375.579235.jpg

True Knight

Here is what I got done today. Got the spacer ring for the motor and welded it to the bottom plate. Bent the inner oil ring into a circle and welded it to the plate, and started bending the outside wall. It being 10" tall, it is a little harder to bend than I expected. Ha ha... I heat it up and bend it an inch or two at a time. Hopefully I'll get to work on it more tomorrow or wednesday.

Attachments

True Knight

Today I finished the outside wall and tested it for leaks. It was easier to bend after I bolted it to a large 1/2" steel plate and used lots of heat. The bolt heads will have to be ground down to clear the bottom of the bowl.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334807308.665640.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334807351.846775.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334807384.808450.jpg

True Knight

Well I have been busy with work lately, but I did a little work on this project today. No pics cause it looks the same as it did in the last pic. Ha ha. What I did today was drill larger holes in the bottom plate to essentially counter sink the bolts a bit. Once I bolted it down no more rubbing. I started it up and it ran smooth.

Next up I need to come up with a way to mount the dirty and clean oil drums and the centrifuge in between. Also drill the clean oil outlet and plumb that to the clean oil drum. A little progress at a time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks