• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building extension cable from MEP016D, is this line of thinking correct?

445gsdss

Now that my MEP016D is up and running, I’d like to fabricate an extension cable that will run about 40 feet into my home to distribute the power. I’d like to verify the following assumptions and ask for help on how this should be broken out.

• I’ll be running the Genset in single phase/120v configuration (I only need to power small appliances)
  • Output selector switch (inside control box) should be set to 120v, 1 phase
  • The Genset output is 30amps (?)
  • I need to break power out to at least 3, preferably 4 receptacles
  • For these 4 plugs, I need to run short interior extension cords to separate rooms – not more than 20 feet
  • Based on the distance and genset output I believe the main cable should be AWG 10 gauge SOOW (?)
  • Because the genset would be running in 120 only mode, would I only need a 10-3 cable (?)
  • Genset would need to be grounded to 8’ ground rod for maximum safety

So, my initial plan is:

• Purchase 50’ of 10-3 AWG SOOW cable
  • Purchase a metal, outdoor 2 gang outlet box
  • Purchase 2 duplex 15amp GFCI outlets
  • Purchase an outdoor outlet cover (clear) – mainly for ascetic reasons
  • Assemble and connect to output lugs on MEP016

My questions are:

• (according to TM) wires should be connected to L1 and L2. Does it matter which to which re. hot & neutral?
  • I assume the extension cable ground wire is connected to the frame and the frame to the ground rod?
  • Will there be an issue with “floating neutral” that affects the GFCIs if the generator is ever run and not earth grounded?
  • What should the Voltage selector switch be set at?
  • What should the current selector switch be set at?

Thanks for any input!

445GSD

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Sorry I only have a minute to reply, but wanted to say you can probably save a good bit of money by buying a "used" 30 amp "RV" extension cable from ebay, often these can be found in near new condition for much cheaper than you can buy SO cable to make one yourself. Sometimes there are real bargains on these with damaged connectors.

Ike

ETN550

Now that my MEP016D is up and running, I’d like to fabricate an extension cable that will run about 40 feet into my home to distribute the power. I’d like to verify the following assumptions and ask for help on how this should be broken out.

• I’ll be running the Genset in single phase/120v configuration (I only need to power small appliances)
  • Output selector switch (inside control box) should be set to 120v, 1 phase
  • The Genset output is 30amps (?)
  • I need to break power out to at least 3, preferably 4 receptacles
  • For these 4 plugs, I need to run short interior extension cords to separate rooms – not more than 20 feet
  • Based on the distance and genset output I believe the main cable should be AWG 10 gauge SOOW (?)
  • Because the genset would be running in 120 only mode, would I only need a 10-3 cable (?)
  • Genset would need to be grounded to 8’ ground rod for maximum safety

So, my initial plan is:

• Purchase 50’ of 10-3 AWG SOOW cable
  • Purchase a metal, outdoor 2 gang outlet box
  • Purchase 2 duplex 15amp GFCI outlets
  • Purchase an outdoor outlet cover (clear) – mainly for ascetic reasons
  • Assemble and connect to output lugs on MEP016

My questions are:

• (according to TM) wires should be connected to L1 and L2. Does it matter which to which re. hot & neutral?
  • I assume the extension cable ground wire is connected to the frame and the frame to the ground rod?
  • Will there be an issue with “floating neutral” that affects the GFCIs if the generator is ever run and not earth grounded?
  • What should the Voltage selector switch be set at?
  • What should the current selector switch be set at?

Thanks for any input!

445GSD
I think everything you are planning on is good. I favor the indoor metal boxes because the outdoor boxes never seem to seal very well and water gets trapped inside. SOOW is extra heavy 600 volt rated which gives great abraision resistance over the 300 volt rated SOW. I use SOOW.

Some comments on the ground and neutral is that these generators may be purposely configured differently so check the outputs of L1 and L2 to the frame ground on the generator. If neither is common with frame ground then either can be the neutral. If one of the lugs is common with frame ground then that will be your neutral. The generator windings themselves are not grounded internally. Any grounding or bonding creating the neutral is made outside of the generator head.

I would check the 120 outlet on the generator. The longer prong is the standard neutral. That will meter out to be either L1 or L2 when in the 120 single phase mode.

Running as you described not integrated into the house it does not matter which is neutral. Hope this helps. Enjoy your gen and have fun building your system.