• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper Numbers ID

tklm539

I am new to this and not sure where I could find out what the bumper numbers stand for.

The Drivers side front is "SVS2-A"

The Passenger side is "42-IF258" I am guessing on the 4 it is pretty worn off

Any help or advice would be great

Tom

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here we go:

42nd Infantry Division, 258th Field Artillery

Service Battery Alpha, vehicle #2

Unit is based out of Jamaica, NY, and is a branch of the Army National Guard.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One battery of the 258th FA is based right down the road from me in Newburgh NY. They just got FMTV's. This is one of the trucks they turned in.. Nice truck!

Opie

General question: Folks have mentioned that vehicle number"x" was typically the First Sergeant's/commander's/etc. vehicle. Any general rule of thumb for those, or did it just depend on the type of unit?

ah1955

A little off topic maybe but I have been wondering about the bumper #'s and what would be correct when it comes to desplaying them.
I know that the last unit my deuce was at was a Mass. guard unit ( the inspection report that sent the truck to DRMO was in it).
They did a real good job of covering them up can't read them at all, but I could find out what they shoud be, But what I really want to do is use the numbers that the Pa. guard unit that my dad retired from would have used.
After all that my question is would it be proper or even maybe leagle to desplay #'s that don't mean anything (someone think you are trying to inpersonate the real thing).
Would not want to offend any current attive duty personall most of all much less get in a conflict with the police.
Some others thoughts would be helpful.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the Army, 7 is the First SGT, 6 is th Commander without fail, and 5 is the XO. HQ-6 Would be the Battalion Commander, while HHC-6 could be the Company Commander. C-7 would be Charlie Company 1SG.

No command elements I ever saw in the Army rode in 2.5 or 5 ton trucks.... :) Humvees only..

tklm539

Hello Jed,

I am a little more east. Bolton Landing, on Lake George. Southern part of the park.

Did you get as much snow as Oswego or did it miss you?

Tom

houdel

A agree with emmando22, except in my days we had M151s instead of Humvees. I was the HHC clerk, so I drove the Company Commander. Our Mutt had 26 S&T (for 26th Supply and Transport Battalion) on the front right/left rear bumper, and HHC-6 on the left front/right rear bumper.

The HHC CO was the March Unit Leader, we were the first vehicle in convoys. One memorable trip to Fort Drum we were cruising along the Mass Turnpike at about 50 MPH and I noticed the hood was shaking. I looked and realized that when the motor pool prepped the vehicles for the march they did not secure the hood latches! A couple of miles later a gust of wind caught the hood and slammed it up against the windshield! No problem, I just stuck my head out around the left side of the windshield and pulled over to the shoulder to secure the hood. Then we sat on the side of the road until the entire convoy passed, then got back into line. Then we were the LAST vehicle until the next rest stop. BTW, it left a pretty good sized crease in the Mutt's hood!

tklm539

No fun,

We had 3' here which was good because it cost me the tranny in my plow truck, opening the door to my deuce purchase. Things have a way of working out

Tom