• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper Numbers

Craig C

Anyone have any idea as to what unit these numbers are from? It was an ARMY vehicle from CA and was marked with 63C R801E left rear and PC 501 right rear.

Thanks,

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The numbers were probably meant as 63CR 801E which leads me to believe it was a vehicle from the 63rd Army Reserve Command 801st Engineers. Is it possible the PC is actually an AC for Alpha Company.

If the registration number is still on the vehicle, it is potentially possible to find out the vehicle unit history to an extent if you have a contact in the military maintenance system.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the registration number is still on the vehicle, it is potentially possible to find out the vehicle unit history to an extent if you have a contact in the military maintenance system.
How is that possible, short of finding a mechanic that worked on the truck that remembers???? When my unit would turn in a vehicle, we would purge all the info related to the vehicle out of the SAMS box. If the vehicle was going to another unit, they would get a disk to upload into their SAMS box with all the info for the truck, but if it was going to DRMO, we didnt bother making up a disk... This was stadard proceedure in all the units I have been in, and worked with..

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep, you are correct in removing it from the maintenance system. Not talking about a maintenance carfax type report. Am talking about the units the vehicle belonged to. I know we had records going back to and including the M151 days on LOGSA. Can't remember the exact part of LOGSA we use to go into. Maybe a property warrant might be a better choice of person to look for it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm always up for a challenge so here's is what I found on your bumper number. A couple calls and emails and looking on the web and this is what I got. I think it is a pretty good start for finding out your vehicle history. Guess I have to stress it is not the maintenance history (wouldn't want someone doesn't get uppity). Who knows, you just maybe able to get the maintenance history from the unit. I use to see units that never threw anything away.

Unit is/was an Army Reserve unit in the 63rd Reserve Readiness Command.

Unit is located in Vallejo, CA.

One of their former maintenance officers has his resume posted on the web. You can get his email address by doing a websearch on 801st Engineer Company.

Unit name is now named the 801st Engineer Company (Horizontal Construction) BUT when the unit had your vehicle, they were the 801st Engineer Company (Port Opening).

The type of engineer company now explains the PC. Not very pretty but below is how the unit use to be organized.

I want to stress this unit as laid out below, no longer exsists.

|ENGINEER PORT |
| OPENING CO |
| |
----------------
|
------------------------------------------------------|----------------------------------------
| | | | |
---------------- ---------------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
| COMPANY HQ | |OPERATIONS SEC| |SUPPLY SECTION| | 3 CONST | | MAINTENANCE |
| | | | | | | PLATOONS | | PLATOON |
|01 | |02 | |03 | | | | |
---------------- ---------------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
| |
| |
---------------------------------------------------------- |
| | | | |
---------------- ---------------- ---------------- ---------------- |
|3 CONSTRUCTION| | 3 CONST SEC | |3 PILE DRIVING| | 3 EQUIP SEC | | PLATOON HQ | | | | SECTIONS | | | |
|04 | |05 | |06 | |07 | |
---------------- ---------------- ---------------- ---------------- |
|
|
|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| | | | |
| MAINT PLT HQ | |ORG MAINT SEC | | 3 PLT MAINT | | DS MAINT SEC | | DS MAINT |
| | | | | TEAMS | | | | SUPPLY |
|08 | |09 | |10 | |11 | |12 |

Of these sections only the following sections were authorized HMMWV's but used the CUCV's in lieu of the primary equipment.

Company HQ x 1 vehicle
Operation Section x 2 vehicles
Construction Platoons each had 3 vehicles for each of the 3 platoons
Maintenance Platoon had 1

I suspect your vehicle belonged to the maintenance section since that was the 5th platoon of the organization.

Now as far as previous units the vehicle

More than likely your vehicle is listed below. By indicating which one it is, someone can then identify the historical info on the vehicle as to what units it use to belong to (not a carfax report just who it belonged to).

M1009 J0GF156733 NF0JBC 1986
M1009 J5GF157568 NF0JD3 1986
M1009 J7GF157846 NF0JDP 1986
M1009 J8GF156625 NF0JB5 1986
M1009 J8GF158889 NF0JFV 1986
M1009 J9GF158450 NF0JEY 1986
M1009 J9GF159095 NF0JG8 1986

Have a wonderfully beautiful day.

KD5QNL

Okay, I have a similar question about my 1985 M1009 and its markings. On the passenger's side rear bumper it has "PBO 9". Near the bottom of the tailgate on the driver's side is stencil reading "326 MT" and on the passenger's side of the tailgate also near the bottom is the marking "HQ 5". The kid i bought it from says he and his dad got it at an airbase in Pennsylvania. I'm just curious to see what kind of history it has. Too bad, there is not a database where a simple vin check could be made to determine its military history.

Thanks.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Your numbers are a lot easier than the previous one. The 326th Maintenance Battalion is a reserve unit out of Owings Mills, MD but has sub. units throughout the MD and PA region. PBO9 tells me the vehicle was turned into the property book officer (PBO) and they most likely held onto it as an administrative vehicle for awhile. That's not uncommon since units always were short commercial vehicles for administrative duties such as putzing around town.

HQ5 denotes it was used by the battalion command sergeant major more than likely.

If it was bought somewhat recently, someone at the unit may still remember it.

Hope that helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks