• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper re-stenciling - which TM?

tonidial

Bumper re-stenciling - which TB/TO/TM?

2 years ago I stripped the paint off the front bumper and repainted it - I'm just now getting around to stenciling. I had taken measurements of the tan/sand background and spacing, but have since lost them (go figure).

Would any of you gents know which TM/TO/TB I should look at?

Truck is Army, 1972 AMG M35A2

I've notice that most modern looks don't have the stripe background, but a block format. I wanted to keep the stripe look.

Sorry if this has been covered before elsewhere - I'm waving the white-flag after 5 hours of searching and looking through the wrong TO and TMs.

Attachments

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I did a thread on this about my experience on bumper numbers. The truck maybe from the lowest responsible bidder but the bumper numbers are put on by the lowestprivate on extra duty as punishment for some infraction.

tonidial

Yes, thanks. When I said stripes I probably should have said strip - meaning the background strip behind the numbers. Was this a stand for regular military or is this possibly a National Guard marking scheme? Assuming is was regular Army, would someone know which Manual/Order/Reg or bulletin to look at for the height and width of the sand/tan strip and the correct offset spacing of the number/letters.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this simply by using the search function at the top right of the page:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior
02-28-2012, 05:09
You will find the BUMPER NUMBER specs in this TM:

43-0209.pdf
To find it, click on this link (Or visit the RESOURCES TAB at the top of each SS WebPage)
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-tms/
(scroll down toward the bottom to find a link to that TM.)

The Bumper Number descriptive begins on page 8 of 407.

There are FOUR distict designators with specific locations and purposes.

Good luck.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
That I don't think is a specific measurement. I've seen rectangles like yours, 29th ID has ovals, some have entire bumper (top to bottom) painted from the cleaves outward.

tonidial

Thanks - I speed combed that TM twice today before positing - I'll revisit it again, but I was looking for an exact diagram/roadmap of measurements/arrangements. I learned a lot about the specific designations via page 21.

tonidial

That I don't think is a specific measurement. I've seen rectangles like yours, 29th ID has ovals, some have entire bumper (top to bottom) painted from the cleaves outward.
Thanks - I think I'll just wing it then after studying the old photos.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I re-stenciled my trucks, I tried to match the style that was previously on the truck. All of them are different, so I didn't get too concerned with trying to match a specific TM.

Amer-team

There has to be something newer out there, but TB 43-0209, OCT 1976, which superseded TB 746-93-1, OCT 1964. These are color, marking, and camouflage Technical Bulletins.

Also OCT 2003 of Military Vehicles Magazine has a great article on the Vehicle Markings. Good luck.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's not a recent coloring TM. I was doing some research a few years ago when I was in, regarding the National Star. The TM that covered this was so old, it had actually expired (20 or 25 years IIRC). I notified the proponent agency, but nothing has been published since.

Amer-team

I know it isn't recent, but it is the only one I have and it could get someone on the path. I would like a newer version and will keep looking. The article in Mil. Veh. is a really good one.

tonidial

Looks like someone went a bit wild with the tan background. You have a Field artillery truck.
The layer beneath shows Armored Cav - HQ 85 - When I took out at the front Bumper I tried to peel back the layers with a chemical stripper- trying to find the first numbering from the 70's- Unfortunately it was indecipherable - and wouldn't have looked right with 383 paint.

Amer-team

MtnSnow, thank you for sharing the painting manual.

I have used chemical strippers, wet dry sandpaper and my current favorite is 4 - 0 steel wool and water. But sometimes 4-0 and lacquer thinner works very well too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks