• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying my first CUCV advice?

Dolphin_Shooter

I've been looking on GL prices seem to be decent but picking one up seems to be a total pain looks like it must be done during the week.Kinda hard for a working guy seems like the best cucv's are coming out of Sparta, Wi. a 10 hour drive from here.I've also been looking at buying from Motorsource in chicago i can do that on a weekend but im gonna spend more money. Anyone pick these up a deliver for you?

combatmech

If you are able, go look at the truck. You'll find a ton on info here. Read before you buy. Be prepared to spend a little ( or a lot ) on small stuff. Belts, lights, fluids, batteries, minor suspension work.
I bought my second truck and had it shipped to Va from Texas. Didnt go the GL route.....and there is a ton of GL info on this site as well.
Good luck!!
:ditto:...dont let money santa brought you burn a hole in your pocket too quick. The best advice is to really take your time. In the long run, it'll pay off.....2cents

SPCWarning

:ditto::ditto:, and download the TM's in the Resources section at the top of the page. Now would be the time to study up on them and that will help you a LOT when you go to look at the CUCV's. The TM's as well as the experience of others here on SS will give you all the answers and what to look for. Good luck on the hunt and POST PICTURES when you get one!
Jimmy

Matt1031

Figure "the usual suspects" replacement parts into your budget....

-Inspect driveshaft for forklift damage/dents - it's common to have to replace rear driveshafts (~$400-450 for custom rear)
-More often than not, you'll need to replace both batteries (tray fits Group 31 or 6TL. 31 is a more common size, figure $100-125 apiece x2)
-4 new (or good used) tires. Most of the tires they come with are over 10 years old - tread may look OK, but replace with new or at least <5 year old tires to be safe. ($0-1000)
-Oil change, check diffs and TC ($30)
-Inspect brakes, replace as necessary
-replace fuel filter ($19.98 for stock Stanadyne at Autozone or Napa spin-on conversion + fittings is under $50)
-New belts (?)
-Front axle spindle and wheel bearing inspect/ repack (mostly just labor assuming no bad bearings, special socket is about $20)
-License plate light to be legal ($10)
-New wiper blades or at least a bottle of Rain-X so once it's running, you can see where you're going in case it rains. ($5-20)

Even the "nice" ones tend to need a fair amount of parts replaced before they are truly roadworthy. Figure that they are all around 25+ years old so they're going to need some work. All the little Gremlins that were lying dormant on the GL lot tend to hatch out of their eggs once you rack up a few miles. Mine was running/driveable when I got it and I *still* had to work on it almost every day for the first couple months. Some fixes involved total rebuild, others only required minor inspection/adjustment. I've got a lot of hours invested in it, that's for sure.

Mine's a daily driver now, most of the bugs have been worked out. It's safe and somewhat reliable, but I still have a long list of things that still need work and improvements I'd like to make.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There seems to be a huge number of CUCV's coming out lately....I have heard it has a lot to do with funding for shipment to reginal sales sites (rumor control).

Price depends a lot on how many of what kind of vehicle is in the same sales event (GL sales).

The more available at one site the lower the price.

Condition counts a lot also......when I bought my last M915 a cherry CUCV sold at the same location for more than my truck.:shock:

Vet89

bring fluids with you, jumper cables, lug wrench and jack if they are not provided. When I bought mine, I had two milk crates of stuff I broguht with me for "just in case" problems.