• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Airbag/Shock Alternative - Bentley Metal Fab

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disclaimer: This is shared with the intent of sharing options available to FMTV owners. I have no affiliation with/relationship to Ryan. If this thread violates any forum rules, please delete.

One of my cab airbags grew porous and needed to be replaced. I was able to track down OE replacements to the tune of ~$350 each. It took a while to find them and knowing that they really aren't consumer-based items, I looked at other options. Someone else pointed me to a different (similar) component, but $'s were close to the same and I was looking for something easily replaceable if needed.

Someone pointed me to a facebook ad for an airbag/shock assembly constructed with more commercially available components. It looked compelling, and although it'd be a little more than what two new OE bags would be, it'd be new bags and shocks, and they'd be available if needed. So I rolled the dice.

They are from Ryan Bentley in Utah. Having them in hand confirms that they are certainly fit for duty, and they were a direct bolt-in swap for the OE units. I got them off the front porch ~8p and the job was done by ~11p.

It was 9 days from order to shipment and I think weather delayed their delivery. Everything here was pushed a day or two. Total bill was $1006.

I have yet to run the rig due to some other work I am doing on it, but based on the quality of the work, the care with which they were packed, the thoroughness of the instructions (not that they were really needed but kudos for writing them well), and the communications I've had with Ryan, I am confident they will rock.

Arrival:

Unpacking (new hardware included):

Installed:

Will post a follow up after I get a drive or two in, but it will be a while as I am working through heat install for the habitat and have things torn apart presently.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for doing this post. I wanted to let people know about the airbag system that Ryan built as well. Ordered them up and got them fast. Packaged great with fantastic instructions.
Installed them last week and have been testing them out this past week. My airbag had failed so i was driving around with no airbags supporting the cab for awhile. What a huge difference in ride quality. Loaded up a friend and took it for a spin and found the stock setting of the shock felt great.

Huge improvement!
Blair

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My cab is still tilted up for other reasons but as a lovely feature, there are actually three shock settings. Unbolt the top of the shock, compress fully, twist to select the setting, fully extend, and then re-secure the top bolt. They ship in the soft setting and that's how I installed them. I can't imagine it won't be fine, but you'll have options to firm them up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks