• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab panel replacement

Crazyguyla

@gringeltaube
I think rocker panels have been covered in great detail, now I'm looking to see if anyone has patched/replaced the back corners, cowl, floor and kick panels, and anything else depicted in the pictures. Also as a bonus, my defrost ducts are rusted out too.

KIMG1488.JPGKIMG1487.JPGKIMG1486.JPGKIMG1485.JPGKIMG1484.JPGKIMG1480.JPG

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your last pic is much worse than mine but you still have one bolt hole. I had little structure damage so no help there but here is what I did.
Started out making a templet for the nut plate locations.
Cut angled steel to fit the existing structure and clamped it in through the air vent. Put the fender back on scribed the hole location.
Removed all and installed nut plates. Reinstalled everything to make certain holes lined up.
Removed the fender and painted all rusty areas after cleaning.
Welded in and repainted.
Happy with results.

How are your fenders?

Attachments

Crazyguyla

Too far gone. Too much time wasted with repairing what you got. Sorry
The cost of a cab plus shipping is way more than the materials to repair this can. Last time I had a line on a better can that was local, the person flaked out on removing it from the truck that was being parted out. I'm worried if I get an A2 cab, it might not have all the mounting places for a gasser deuce.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's why I didn't just replace my fenders. Cost+ shipping. But your cab needs a lot of work. I'd love to pull my cab for more repairs but no way to do that where I am.

Good luck!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Guys,

After reading this post, looking at those pictures, and wondering WHY - I hereby promise from this day forward to NOT COMPLAIN anymore about the tiny little spots of rust here and there on my truck.

My 37 year old sweetheart looks pretty fantastic when compared .

Resized_20200411_135731.jpeg

Since this picture, a wire brush attached to a big side grinder has made those spots into smoother spots with no rust, painted and made green. Bit by bit, I have groused and grumbled about that @#$% rust and made repairs. You guys are definitely hero's!

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After thinking about this more, would it not be easier to modify a good M35 cab if it had mounting issues?
Still expensive. but a lot less work.

Crazyguyla

After thinking about this more, would it not be easier to modify a good M35 cab if it had mounting issues?
Still expensive. but a lot less work.
The mounting issues will be for things like the foot starter, crossbar for the starter and throttle, choke cable, and voltage regulator. Not really wanting to drill holes and add weld nuts..

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not familiar with what that would entail. But guessing you've compared that effort to that of repairing your existing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks