• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caiman Steel Wheel valve thread size?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some black Camian steel wheels with runflats & goodyears on my 5 ton m923. They were brand new and surplused in the GL days at Ft. Polk. I went to air /check them and some were in need of air. I found it a bear to hold the air chuck against the stems and to get air pressure readings off my gauge since they are slightly larger than normal. The threads and stem diameter is not the normal size "regular" thread nor are they the large bore stems as they are smaller than that. I also don't like that I can't cap them off.

What size thread are those and does any of the tire hardware vendors make adapters to use with regular size fittings or extensions and caps with that special size?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
It appears that suspension is similar to the MTVR, if it’s an Oshkosh suspension with planetary hubs on the caiman that might assist in your search, I’m thinking CTIS wheel valves similar to an MTVR or Hemtt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size thread are those....
Should be a 3/8"-32 UNEF thread. (at least that's what you find on the Haltec AMG-4 wheel valve which comes on the std FMTV steel wheel.)

This is the only thing I found, that comes close to eventually serve as a "cap" - provided it's deep enough (?)

What I usually do with those odd size valve stems is swap the tip, thus converting it into a regular size 0.305" -32 Schrader valve end.
20180822_203645 B.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If its those type that G posted jaun the. The end is smooth. You need a thread tire tool and thread the end of the stem.

I have a few threaded air chucks that can thread them and allow a cap

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a thread tire tool and thread the end of the stem.
Good luck with that. I have tried many tricks already; found no way yet to get anything done good enough, with the stem still installed in place...

First, that referred smooth end measures Ø 8.0mm but you want it to be about Ø 7.6mm in order to get your tire tool to grab and start threading straight down. Even tried it with a die like this one...
The other reason (for me) to replace that "milspec" valve stem end entirely is that most often it got bent or distorted already, so that a regular valve core won't fit- or seat air-tight anymore.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will need to take a picture but not sure if it will be visible as I screwed the hubcap protector covers back on after I aired them up. Coming straight out of the rim maybe 1 inch. It might not be threaded all the way as that makes sense why nothing would grab it but it does feel like G said that it was wider.

They should be just like whatever is on FMTV's. If I remember correctly, I stripped off the valves and hoses and sold them here as I do not have CTIS.

They were already mounted and I did not feel like messing with them and changing valves when I got them as they were brand new with zero miles.

I will see If i can get to them and if 3/8 "looks" close.

Thanks for the replies. I will update as I check them out again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks