• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camo paint options

86M10086.2L

Now that the weather is getting nicer I would like to start cleaning up a few pieces on my truck and also start repainting it. Has anyone here used the camo paint from colemans? I know about rapco and the few other places that sell the CARC and CARC replacements in cans, but colemans is easier and cheaper for me to get from. But if the color is not going to match than I'll just get it from Rapco or gasp... Alpha. Plus it's just fun to poke around in colemans yard but I'm sure I can drum up another reason for that. JUst wondered if anybody has used their paint.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What brand? Aervoe used to have some problems with fading and turning pinkish :shock: , but I have heard it is better now. Gillespie is the best color match I have seen, aside from real CARC.

No.2Diesel

In my personal experience it costs significantly less to purchase Gillespie from RAPCO in TX than other suppliers in NJ, mostly due to Hazardous material charges.

Are you going for a 4 color MERDC or a 3 color woodland? Post pics when your done. See ya.

86M10086.2L

I want to do the 3 color woodland camo. Thats whats on my truck now. The 2 color Green/black is too boring for me nice, but boring. I want to follow my original pattern but i'm not sure if it's "correct" and i've notice that alot of trucks incorparate the camo pattern onto the grill guard, bumbers, and troop seats. Is that right? Mine doesn't. I'm throwing up a few pics of the truck let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
86M, your vehicle sorta matches the older camo pattern, which is figure 43 in TB 43-0209. Figure 43a shows the newer pattern (which looks a lot better, in my opinion). The camo should extend onto the grill guard and troop seats, etc.
TB 43-0209 is in the manual download section.

Cheers

AJMBLAZER

Just for reference Rustoleum has a couple colors in their "camoflage" (sp?) series of paints and the flat black matches CARC black just about perfectly. Been doing some touch ups with it and it looks nice.

davidkroberts

Do what makes you happy

not to argue the point with Elwenil but it is your truck... do what makes you happy. I repainted my Gama Goat using the "six-pack, a buddy, and a five year old helping" pattern method and i think it turned out okay. I used duck-boat paint from the hardware store for the Tan and Black and Rattlecan spraypaint for the olive drab.

Elwenil

RE: Do what makes you happy

True, anyone can do whatever they want with their own property but when you post questions about camo patterns and paint on a military vehicle forum, at least a few of us are going to suggest using the actual military patterns. I'm a stickler for the authentic patterns mainly since they are readily available, easy to use and there's not a whole lot of reasons not to use them. I can spot a "fake" or homemade camouflage paint job from a long way off. Not because they aren't good paint jobs, but because they rarely serve any actual purpose. If you look at MVs with authentic camouflage patterns, the borders of the colors crisscross body lines, larger panels and identifying shapes to break up the shape of the vehicle and make it harder to identify. Unplanned blobs of color in the middle of panels don't do as much to break up the shape as a well thought out and designed pattern that hides the shape and outline of the panels and overall shape of the vehicle. Again, it's up to the owner to choose what is best for them, but authentic patterns are easy to do and make a huge difference in the look of the vehicle. In some cases it can mean the difference between owning a representative piece of history and owning a vehicle that looks like the average civilian "hunter's special".

86M10086.2L

Thats exactly why I dont have my kidney bean mag wheels on my truck anymore. They made it look like a hunting truck. I deffinately want a military correct camo pattern. I've seen the new pattern schematics online but it looked wrong. I'll have to try and download the manual on here and look again. I thought it odd, when my pattern didn't match others. I guess it being a stateside medical truck it didn't warrant an up to date tactical camo pattern. Or it didn't get beat up or used enough to get painted again.

AJMBLAZER

Either that or it was all green at one time and then when they camo'd it the guys in the paint booth decided not to do the hard work necessary to do the grill and such.

Elwenil

86M10086.2L, I can guarantee that the paint on your truck was not done by the military. I would probably guess that it was solid OD green of one shade or another and the "US ARMY For Official Use Only" is probably original and accurate. It was probably used on base and never received a tactical paint job. A little sanding will probably tell you all the history of the paint you would need to know. Personally, I'd get the pattern, and put the 3 color NATO paint scheme on it. I wouldn't want a vehicle with "official use only" on it due to possible legal issues, and camouflage just looks cool. But again, it's your ride.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks