• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camper on a 5-Ton ideas...please

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been considering turning my 923 into an overland camper. I have been watching some auctions on "totaled" campers with the intention of removing the frame or axles depending on how it is built and mounting it on my truck after removing the bed. Paint it up and trick it out. Would love an M1078 to do this with but they are just bringing to much $$$. My 923 is so nice I may get another one to make into my camper cause I don't want to permanently make my nice one a camper. Other than Google...anyone out there have pictures to share?

quickfarms

The trailer frame is part of the camper and can not be removed.

The axles and suspension unbolt easily

I have a Hilo camper on my 15 ton.

The harsh ride of the factory 5 ton suspension will shake a camper apart

You have several options

Leave suspension on the trailer to reduce the vibration Transfered to the trailer

Change the truck to air ride

Have new springs made for the truck that are designed for the weight it will actually carry, I went this route and now my air ride seat barely moves.

I left the bed on the truck

I removed the trailer suspension and built a sub frame with fork pockets in it

I shortened the tongue and added a gooseneck coupler

I forgot to mention that you should avoid the light weight and wood framed trailers

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailer frame is part of the camper and can not be removed.

The axles and suspension unbolt easily

I have a Hilo camper on my 15 ton.

The harsh ride of the factory 5 ton suspension will shake a camper apart

You have several options

Leave suspension on the trailer to reduce the vibration Transfered to the trailer

Change the truck to air ride

Have new springs made for the truck that are designed for the weight it will actually carry, I went this route and now my air ride seat barely moves.

I left the bed on the truck

I removed the trailer suspension and built a sub frame with fork pockets in it

I shortened the tongue and added a gooseneck coupler

I forgot to mention that you should avoid the light weight and wood framed trailers

Just curios, what are Hi-Lo frames made of?

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my thought was like you said. Cut the tongue off and weld up mounts to bolt it to the bed. I have a lead on a 2016 17 foot camper with small front end damage. Since this will be my “trial” run at an overland type truck. I figure this would be a great way to test the waters. I do own a 1 ton and a slide in so the camping and creative part is not a problem. What makes you think the truck will shake things apart? I just do not have the time right now with my job to build the camper. Any idea on what new spring packs for the truck would cost? Maybe come up with some type of bushing set up to put between camper frame and truck bed?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So my thought was like you said. Cut the tongue off and weld up mounts to bolt it to the bed. I have a lead on a 2016 17 foot camper with small front end damage. Since this will be my “trial” run at an overland type truck. I figure this would be a great way to test the waters. I do own a 1 ton and a slide in so the camping and creative part is not a problem. What makes you think the truck will shake things apart? I just do not have the time right now with my job to build the camper. Any idea on what new spring packs for the truck would cost? Maybe come up with some type of bushing set up to put between camper frame and truck bed?
The springs will be fine. Profo has an all aluminum camper body on a 927 with the standard springs. You can sleep in the back while driving just fine. With a load on them they glide. Per the TM they can carry 20,000lbs on road. A 934 uses the stock spring pack and the expanding van is 9900lbs empty.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think what quickfarm means is that the truck is so stiff and campers so light. It will bounce it to pieces?? I’m sure the heavier the better

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I think what quickfarm means is that the truck is so stiff and campers so light. It will bounce it to pieces?? I’m sure the heavier the better
Not really. He just likes to talk to people in lecture form as to do something different. When i had broken leaf springs it was all uneducated talk and not showing up to replace the springs for me.

Fortunately him and a few others who like to ramble about unwanted things and just make me shake my head are on my ignore list so i don't have to see their posts.

On another note i have wrecker springs and my truck rides smooth even empty and unsecured things in the bed dont bounce around

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really. He just likes to talk to people in lecture form as to do something different. When i had broken leaf springs it was all uneducated talk and not showing up to replace the springs for me.

Fortunately him and a few others who like to ramble about unwanted things and just make me shake my head are on my ignore list so i don't have to see their posts.

On another note i have wrecker springs and my truck rides smooth even empty and unsecured things in the bed dont bounce around
A lot of travel trailers and campers are not the strongest design stapled 2x2's don't hold much. A few years back a friend or mine retired and borrowed a bumper pull travel trailer from a former co-worker , about half way up the Trans Alaska Highway it started shedding parts . By the time he got Alaska it was pretty much junk he left there as it wouldn't make it back. Came home bought the guy he got it from a new trailer. A lot of them are designed to pull down the highway and park in a RV park not cross country trail riding.It all depends how they were built in the first place , I'm sure there are some that would work just fine.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What about the UN boxes? The guy with the tatra from canada at the GA rally was living in it. Would fit in a 5 ton bed prob and still be under height. I think they do make a shelter like that that is quick deployable for aid missions im sure

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of travel trailers and campers are not the strongest design stapled 2x2's don't hold much. A few years back a friend or mine retired and borrowed a bumper pull travel trailer from a former co-worker , about half way up the Trans Alaska Highway it started shedding parts . By the time he got Alaska it was pretty much junk he left there as it wouldn't make it back. Came home bought the guy he got it from a new trailer. A lot of them are designed to pull down the highway and park in a RV park not cross country trail riding.It all depends how they were built in the first place , I'm sure there are some that would work just fine.
not sure I will be breaking and land speed records to tear the sides off.

quickfarms

Does the trailer use leaf springs or torsion axles?

Is height going to be an issue with a camper in the bed?

Think about how you are going to load the camper into the bed.

Any bump in the road that the truck slams my air ride seat can not be good for a travel trailer.

There are quite a few trucks out on the road that have been retired and converted to rv's, by mounting a travel trailer on the truck, and the general consensus is the truck needs to be air ride, or have the suspension rebuilt for the lightweight, for the camper to survive on the highway

Last edited:

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will be inspecting camper Tuesday or Wednesday if I can avoid work. It is near York pa. And I’m in NOVA. Assume it’s lead spring.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to manufacturer specs. it is 17' long w/o tongue. 88" wide and 9'8" high total (with wheels). 5 ton bed is 5' high. Empty it is 3217 lbs. From the pictures it is leaf springs. Web site does not say what camper frame is constructed from. Chassis is Norco NXG ??
So..if wheels and springs off subtract a foot or so I should be under 14' including ac unit.
Plan is to take a 923...remove sides and head of bed and spare tire carrier. That way the camper will not be hanging off the bed 3 feet. Bolt the camper frame through the bed maybe with bushings between. This will be permanent and painted to match. Camper will be installed backwards for appearance. If the camper I go look at is a bust, I will just keep searching.5f05bd60-2d52-4b57-90d5-020b844a15fe.JPG

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks