• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can a mep-005a start a 17hp 575 volt motor with step up transformer and soft start

livemonarch

I have a specific use for the Mep-005a generator...to start a 17 hp 3 phase hydraulic motor.
It is wired for 575 volts, each leg pulls 51 amps for 3 seconds as motor starts and drops to 24 amps per leg thereafter. Motor was hoked up using 600v 8awg copper...all ok for past 25 years.
Will purchase correct step up transformer or rewind motor if necessary.
Motor is 575/3/60 star delta

Will the mep-005 with proper transformer start our motor and safely run it?
Any tips for starting large motors on generators?
Anybody have experience with soft start motor controllers...will this solve the problem of pulling lots of amps on the start.

Thanks for any advice / experience.

sewerzuk

Here is my take on this based on a little bit of experience:

You have a couple of things to think about/questions to ask:

1. Are the running amps of the motor within the capacity of the generator? Assuming your transformer is 95% efficient or better, the answer is yes. You'll be running at about 80% of the sets capacity. The overloads will not trip during normal operation

2. Will the starting surge trip the short circuit trip on the set? The short circuit trips at 425% of rated current, so they will not trip.

The delta/star method of soft starting works well, although the motor doesn't achieve full torque until it is up to speed.

My take is that, assuming your motor controller works properly as a soft start, and the load on the motor doesn't exceed your measurement of 24A at 575v, the -005a should run it just fine. Without the soft start, it would almost certainly trip the short circuit relay on startup (speaking from experience).

livemonarch

Thanks again for the MEP knowledge.

I will be testing out this setup within the next few weeks and hope to have good news and a detailed video showing the setup to share with the group.

All the best !:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks