• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I tow a M105A2 with a F150?

ordkhntr

Just won an auction, didnt realize that the M105A2 was so big.....
Anyway, I have pintile hitch, and I have towed more than 2700lbs before but I am getting some feedback from others (and I have no idea whether they actually know or not) that it might be too much for the F150. So I ask the masses.....is it?

Thanks
RJ

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is massive and will put a strain of the F150. I have towed them with a 1/2 ton Suburban and the pucker factor was high. Stopping was the issue.

What are your plans? Tow once for recovery? Tow it all the time?

If you keep your speeds low you should be okay.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I recover them with my 1998 gmc 1500. It is not a good trailer to use with the half ton trucks, but recovery isn't too bad.

ordkhntr

well......at first I was thinking of using it for camping and such.....but now I am thinking maybe I should sell it and get a smaller one?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
F150 to recover the trailer, yes. Recreational use loaded, No. Find a smaller trailer for a pickup truck. The M105 is right trailer for a deuce.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, for camping, the 101 would be better. The 105 is just so dang heavy empty, its not worth messing with. If you wanted a bigger trailer than the 101, the hmmvw trailers are nice, 1101 I think is the designation.

ordkhntr

thanks for all the help, between the info youve given and the links to the other threads I've started a packing list and a prefight checklist of sorts.....

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailers are pretty easy to recover. Take a "good" set of magnetic tail lights and long zip ties to secure them in place. Air tank for any low tires, and stop after the first 5 miles and check trailer bearing covers for excess heat. A little warm is ok, slinging gease or bubbled paint, STOP. I have recovered six 105s to date and only one trailer had a very warm hub. Slowed down to 65 and it made it home fine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is also a good candidate for an axle swap. A 6000# axle with brakes makes the trailer manageable albeit heavy.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you buy anything(else), read up on it. Or, ask around some.

The Technical manuals are free to download on our site.

ordkhntr

Before you buy anything(else), read up on it. Or, ask around some.

The Technical manuals are free to download on our site.
No doubt I will. I just found this board when I was searching for tires. I already downloaded the TM and am slowly sifting thru it for info.....a ton of stuff in there, well more like a ton and a half. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks