• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can MRAP wheels be mounted "deep dish" style without flipping hubs?

dezert ratt

I installed my rears dish out (24 bolt aluminum mrap) and I had clearance issues with the brake drum nuts and the 24 rim bolts. I clocked the rims to a different hole on the wheel studs and repeated until the nuts on the rim and the nuts on the brake drum cleared each other. If you run dish out make sure the nuts are not contacting each other, that can cause major damage when the lugs get torqued. Another thing, the valve stems are now facing the brake drum and are now no longer accessible. I fixed this by drilling and tapping the dish side of the rim for 1/4 " valve stems. The aluminum wheels are thick enough to tap adequate threads.

TsgtB

Merlot, when you get a chance, where did you get your tires/wheels?
I'm over in Granbury and looking to get some (now that I've recovered from the engine replacement... uggg..)
What did you figure out for your valve stems?
How about some pics.
Thanks

dezert ratt

On the aluminum rims you can drill and tap threads in the dish and move your valve stems to the inside of wheel. You just need to plug the existing hole where the valve stem was. I'll try and get some pics.

TsgtB

I'm wanting to see pictures of MRAP wheels with valve stems on the dish side.
Cant the spuds be loosened and rotated 180* or with a straight (short) valve stem?

TsgtB

I'd really hate to drill and tap a new stem. It just seems like there should be a much easier way. I know the wheel would have to be separated and the runflat pushed off to one side to get a tool on the inside of the stem base. But so far, flipping the hubs actually seems easier....
Also, "painting" the plates... I think i'll just go flat black.

Clay James

I'm running the aluminum MRAP wheels dish out. Have the same problem as dezert ratt with the valve stems. First I'm going to try and find an valve stem extension that will fit. If that doesn't work I'll drill and tap a new one. IMG_8677.jpg

TsgtB

Thanks DR and CJ, I just got notified my 128lb fed ex package will be here in a couple of days, and the local shipping terminal is whining about delivering my 3K+lb pallets of MRAP wheels/tires...
I guess i'll go ahead and flip the hubs.... or mow my yard...

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can the adaptors be bolted onto the non-dished side of the MRAP wheels, to provide more clearance between the brake drum and 24 bolt pattern on the wheels? Instructions say to mount on the dished side. I assume this is to better position the center line of the tire over the hub, i.e., reduce offset of the total wheel, but don't know.

Still debating flip or not to flip with new adaptors coming in soon.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That will depend on the adapter. The aluminum rims have a recess created by the bolt on outer ring that the adapter will have to fit inside of if rims are used dish out. The adapters we used on my brothers bobbed deuce had to be clearanced with a grinder around the entire circumference to reduce the diameter approximately 3/32 of an inch to make them fit on the rear axle.

Last edited:

peashooter

Kblazer87 is right on. The adapters I sell are 1/2" thick so I'd be comfortable putting them on either side of the wheel assuming they would physically fit (although I do prefer them on the dish side since its less stress on parts).
The adapters I sell are 15.5" diameter, so just see if that would fit in the recess on the front face of the wheels you have. If they are the 24 bolt aluminum rims however, you would need to remove the valve stem and plug it with a pipe thread plug and then drill/tap on the other side of the rim for it. Member "LINO" did this and you can see it HERE

TsgtB

I'm very happy with my flipped hubs. It looks great, AND it is much easier to get to the lug nuts.
Plus the MRAP air ports being in the recess of the rim, it would be almost impossible to air them up without modifying the rims.
It's not a difficult job, especially with my little 12ton HF press.

706james815

Track width is not increased with MRAP Steel wheels, offsets vary slightly (around a 1/2") between the aluminum's. With stock rims and Non Directional 9.00R20 rear track width was 93.5" to tire sidewalls, with MRAP wheels and 395/85R20 the rear rack width is 93" to sidewalls. Front and rear adapters are mounted to the deep dish side of the rim. Pics on my M36A2.
Was just thinking about this a few minutes ago. Love the look ,think I'm doing mine this way too!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks