• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can the transmission cooler be flipped upside down on a 1083?

ramdough

Looking to reduce the overall height of the transmission cooler in support a camper conversion. The fan motor sticks up pretty high. If I unbolted the the unit from the cross brackets and flipped it over, is there any issue? I would gain some space to blow the air..... otherwise the fan will be right up against the box.... blocking air flow.

The other option is to space the cooler down, but I thing the center location of the fan may be better upside down (see below).

Also, I would like to slide it right up against the transfer case if I can, but am worried about the heat from the muffler. Does anyone know which direction the cooler blows? Mine is disconnected and I need to lengthen the harness to make it work (part of my winch swap caused this)..... probably will wait until the cooler is moved to correct this issue.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found low-profile 24v automotive fans and made a flat shroud on which to mount them. Reasonably priced and simple solution. Push air down as well.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remembered the 1088 is a different cooler than the 1083. Above is my solution, but I'd imagine it could be applied to the 1083 as well.

Reworked LMTV

Looking to reduce the overall height of the transmission cooler in support a camper conversion. The fan motor sticks up pretty high. If I unbolted the the unit from the cross brackets and flipped it over, is there any issue? I would gain some space to blow the air..... otherwise the fan will be right up against the box.... blocking air flow.

The other option is to space the cooler down, but I thing the center location of the fan may be better upside down (see below).

Also, I would like to slide it right up against the transfer case if I can, but am worried about the heat from the muffler. Does anyone know which direction the cooler blows? Mine is disconnected and I need to lengthen the harness to make it work (part of my winch swap caused this)..... probably will wait until the cooler is moved to correct this issue.

Pushing the air down eliminates 2 issues. First, heat soaking from the muffler. Second, heating the floor of the cabin. Fans can run in either direction, but the shroud location is key. Honestly, you can pull a fan set off a junk car for cheap.

ramdough

All good points!

Thanks everyone. I think I will look at just lowering it a few inches and see if I can get the clearance.

I may consider reRouting the exhaust, but I was hoping to not touch that until the camper is done. Trying to limit the work before it is useable.

B-Dog

Is it necessary? The truck is rated for5 tons and towing another ri-donk truck. If you don't intend to load the transmission to that extreme, can you just get rid of it? There's a tranny cooler up front and the 4x4's don't have the secondary cooler.

Reworked LMTV

Is it necessary? The truck is rated for5 tons and towing another ri-donk truck. If you don't intend to load the transmission to that extreme, can you just get rid of it? There's a tranny cooler up front and the 4x4's don't have the secondary cooler.
Probably not, but if you look at the temp scales vs transmission longevity, it is cheap insurance.

Ronmar

Probably not, but if you look at the temp scales vs transmission longevity, it is cheap insurance.
But if you actually want to lower transmission temperatures, you really need to bring those fans under a separate temp control monitoring trans fluid temp. As it is now, they are controlled by the same upper rad pipe 205F coolant switch that controls the engine fan clutch.

I have always felt the fans do a better job pulling than pushing. with a good plate shroud, a pair of automotive units like pictured, except on the bottom configured to pull downward would be how I would do it, with a thermal control sw looking at the trans fluid temp, same as if they were stand-alone coolers...

This would also provide some protection from debris bouncing up and damaging the cooler from below...

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...a pair of automotive units like pictured, except on the bottom configured to pull downward would be how I would do it...

This would also provide some protection from debris bouncing up and damaging the cooler from below...
I thought long and hard about which way to mount the fans (one of the joys of working alone through this project) and ended up with the configuration after much internal deliberation. The counterpoint to the debris from below is if something does get up there, I don't want it being held in there by the shroud in some manner. In addition, if something were to actually get on top, I wouldn't want it to sit on top of the fins and tubes, so in the end I shrouded the top.

I thought it less likely to actually get anything up there, but if I did I wanted a clean exit for it.

Not sure if I'm right or wrong, or if there is a right or wrong answer. Time will tell if it's a valid solution though.

Ronmar

I think a fine mesh fence(screen) around and over the top would keep anything from getting on top. I think you would want this with fans on top or bottom anyway as small light debris that can clog airflow needs to be intercepted, especially if the fans are on the input side and block access to the cooler fins. On my tractor I use 2 layers of window screen which catches all but the dust, and I use a long 90 degree blowgun thru holes in the fan shroud to blow air back thru the rad to eject dust. I am always amazed at the ammount of dust that comes out as we are not particularly dusty or dry here where we live in the northwest... Now this probably won’t get as much dust and debris as my tractor does, but Crap will find a way in there if you go offroad...

Another issue might be access to repair/replace a fan. How easy is it to get a fan off of the top With the hab installed over it?

as always there are lots of ways to fry this fish...

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another issue might be access to repair/replace a fan. How easy is it to get a fan off of the top With the hab installed over it?
I have hab-side access planned for a large portion of the flooring. All the hoses and valves and other components between the rails leaves me disinclined to close it off permanently. I think it's a wise consideration to pursue for anyone building atop these platforms.

Reworked LMTV

:)Along the lines (pun intended) of the transmission cooler, how much additional line is required to put the cooler in its new position? I need to order some line.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't remember but it was simple: I put the cooler where I wanted it and measured it for custom hoses. A local hydraulic shop had them done while I went for some lunch. Very quick and easy. Where you position yours may be different than mine. My mounts were nothing more than angle iron welded to 2x2 steel posts with muffler clamps around the frame crossmember. Very simple.

Reworked LMTV

Don't remember but it was simple: I put the cooler where I wanted it and measured it for custom hoses. A local hydraulic shop had them done while I went for some lunch. Very quick and easy. Where you position yours may be different than mine. My mounts were nothing more than angle iron welded to 2x2 steel posts with muffler clamps around the frame crossmember. Very simple.
Hydraulic place near me. Will do same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks