• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC or Gillespie

OG

I purchased recently M101A1 trailer from GL. I do not have time nor money to strip the old paint to the metal, so I was thinking about using the steel brush (coarse full-twist wires)to remove old loose layers and rust and then repaint it. Given that old paint will not be stripped to the metal, would CARC stick to the old layers? Properly applied CARC with proper primer etc. of course. Alternative I am considering is Gillespie paint with Red oxide III primer.
Any help is appreciated.

OG

mpmutt

Carc is more expensive but will look exactly right. Carc sticks to dirt(and people) :)
Old carc is a great primer for new Carc. Gillespie will look nice and is easy to use but will look like Gillespie.
Carc shows everything as far as scratches etc but thats what the military coating does.
I would go with CARC. Thats what I always use and it looks original, if thats what you want.

Jones

CARC should stick just fine as long as you get rid of the loose stuff. You might want to consider spot priming any areas you end up taking down to bare metal. CARC is a polyurethane so use a compatible primer.
Wash the entire surface with soapy water and a stiff bristled brush to get any dirt and oil residue trying to hide in crevases or on the rough surface of the former paint job.
If you're going to go with CARC then follow ALL safety instructions. There's some CARC info in the Tech library.

Sarge

CARC

If you want to work with CARC, use a good mask not just a dust mask.
I prefer Gillespie, easier to work with and less dangerous. I also think that it looks better and wears very well. That's just my opinion, you will find that some guys prefer CARC, some guys prefer Gillespie.
Did I mention wear a mask?
Of course I did!
Truth is, you should wear a mask with any paint, not just CARC, I sometimes worked without a mask and that's why my brain is a little gooble farble wheecheehahey!
-Sarge

OG

Thank you guys. I wear mask (real mask, not dust mask) when sanding and I would wear it for painting as well, although I may ask someone to do painting for me, simply because I have no proper painting facilities nor equipment to do it.
Priming the metal spots before paintng the entire trailer is a good idea. Which primer is compatible with CARC primer, if I decide to go with CARC. I noticed that spots treated with
Naval Jelly are supposed to be covered with oil-based primer only. Would CARC primer
stick OK to oil-based primer? I did not use much Naval Jelly, only on few spots.

OG

sgtrisk

Assuming that I use 34094 383 Green, 30051 383 Brown, and Black for the exterior 3-color scheme, what color should the interior of my M109A3 cab be? Is it 383 Green, or OD Green? The inside of the van will get the Sea Foam Green treatment.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need any special painting facilities to paint military equipment. A driveway or back yard will work fine (just make sure you are far enough from the house or anything else you don't want paint drift on :wink: ). Spray guns arn't that expensive if you've got a compressor or if you go with Gillespie (which I pefer over CARC) you can get it in spray cans.

wsucougarx

Anyone have any contrasting pics b/w CARC and Gillespie? I know the Gillespie matches CARC pretty darn good but does have that little gloss to it, esp w/the 383 green

maxim

Picts of one truck with a fresh paint job of Gillespie over old fire truck yellow, just wire wheeled and sanded and patched where needed. The other truck is the original color and 57 years in the sun. Both have the same original color some where, under the dash or firewall. I guess what are you looking for. I suspect the Gillespie will lose some of its gloss over time. It is easy to work with and sitcks well.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck isn't 383 Green, maxim. Looks like semi-gloss OD which should have a slight gloss to it. From what I've sprayed, Gillespie 383 green "CARC subsitute" dosen't have any gloss at all.

I just painted some winch brackets with 383 Gillespie. I'll take a pic and post it.

poppop

Carc is not sold in regular Sherwin Williams paint stores. It has to be a industrial store to get it, or that is what my Sherwin dealer told me.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I painted 8 trucks this year. Just painted a M109 today. I prefer Gillespie,Its easy to use. Just my opinion.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mackfire68 said:
I need to do some small rust, touch ups. Can you get CARC in a spray can?
You can get Gillespie in spray cans but I don't think you can get CARC. Go to rapcoparts.com. He fills spray cans out of gallons so you're getting the same paint that's in the gallons.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks