• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC VS Behr and Prep

I need some pointers. The M925 that I am restoring is getting expensive and over the top. I am trying to keep it as correct as possible and have replaced just about anything that shows wear. This truck will be used for veterans events and shows. Might be used in a natural emergency or crisis as a part of a civilian response team. Being that I am already 14K deep into the restore why not finish it right? Now I am on to paint. The truck has been three different colors from the FED and was improperly primed the first time. Some areas had no primer. Then it was Navy blue, (it was a marine truck), then desert tan, then green. The paint is thick in many areas such as the hood and fenders and cracking. I had it blasted professionally with Dry ice. That cleaned everything well but would take weeks to strip the truck to metal. The frame rails and tool boxes are black now and have the right texture but feel like it would take new paint well without going to metal. So I assume that is the primer that was used. The hood and front fenders as well as the cab are so thick with layers I have to remove it. So I am hiring a "dustless blaster" to come out and take the cab, hood, and front fenders to metal.

The truck with be desert tan as I am going for a desert storm era vehicle with the truck being an 88.

I am worried that if I go with Behr that the texture will be too smooth where it has been stripped to metal. But then the tool boxes and frame rails where I am leaving the black primer it already has that rough texture so I assume it would not match the front of the truck. I guess I could have the entire truck stripped..........

Being that I want this truck as be as correct as possible, what would you guys do?

When I talked to my local SW a year or so about this they acted like they had never heard of it. So I have spent the last few hours reading past threads here and have the following:

It appears that I would need the following from Sherwin Williams:

Coating, Aliphatic Polyurethane, Chemical Agent Resistant (CARC)
Single Component (Topcoat) MIL-C-53039

Tan 686 33446 8010-01-276-3638 Qt
Tan 686 33446 8010-01-276-3639 Gal
Tan 686 33446 8010-01-276-3640 5 Gal
Tan 686 33446 8010-01-276-3641 55 Gal

I am unsure of what primer to get from them to support this?
I also assume I would need 2-4 gallons for two coats on the entire truck.

Or if you guys think I should go the BEHR route I believe that is FS33446

Thanks

Thanks for the help! I ended up ordering 1 gallon of green for the inside of the cab. 5 Gallons of tan, and three gallons of the red oxide primer. It is the water based CARC. The only thing that requires catalyst is the primer. I will post pics when it is done. Should be blasted in the next few weeks then off to paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks