• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CAT 3116 Engine Speed Sensor

JD4044M

Ya it has been a on going problem for years. Puts a damper on working on stuff very long. I still push myself it helps to keep doing things. I do love working on my truck and driving it. I raised my price to sell it so my wife see's it for sale but it is high enough at $30K it will be a while before it is sold! I would like to keep something I fixed up that is neat for once!! Can't do this to many more times at my age.

JD4044M

Checked the connector on the transmission nope did nothing to make the Speedometer work? They were clean so does anyone have a picture of what is in the Tranny I need to deal with? Thanks!

Ronmar

Checked the connector on the transmission nope did nothing to make the Speedometer work? They were clean so does anyone have a picture of what is in the Tranny I need to deal with? Thanks!
There is only one sensor in there, you literally cannot miss it:) remove the cover circled in red. You can use an ohm meter to check the resistance between 200-400 ohms… I think this diagram may be in error as to what the sensor actually looks like as I have seen other diagrams(I think in the allison troubleshooting manual) that show it to look like a wind-up key. At any rate, it’s the only sensor in the transfer case, and in the end it is a hall effect sensor counting gear teeth as they pass…

63E9006C-CA9C-44FE-954D-0C78C6E88E7B.jpeg

JD4044M

Thanks now I know what I am getting into glad I read the drain part before un/bolting that plate to look. How many Gallons are going to come out when the Transfer case is drained. Guess you could drain it till it is below the cover plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks