• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CCKW arctic cab

jrs44jimmy

My 1944 CCKW 353 open cab has a arctic cab on it , that's how I bought it . I've seen a few pictures of CCKW's with arctic cab's but can't find any info on them . Any help with any info would be greatly appreciated

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's really cool. The truck looks great to be 70+ years old. Do you have a bed for it and is it steel, wood, composite, etc.?

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
these kits were produced post war , the roof only was also used on the M-37 , Canadian M-37's came with a hardtop from the factory, the two roofs are not the same ,

SsgtFoster

There is a complete one in central IL. I think I almost have the old timer talked out of it. Been sitting in the corner of a shed for decades. I heard it run last year. I have enough projects, but don't want to see it scraped. If you are really interested I'll push a little harder to get it relocated.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M-37 came with one of those early hard tops. I still have it, but have since upgraded to a later style hard top. The first ones had a wooden frame work for the door windows.

saddamsnightmare

March 27th, 2016.

Definitely would have been appreciated at the Battle of the Bulge, as I knew a few truck drivers (a lot, actually), that ran their CCKW's with only the top canvas on the cab. The Army figured that if you were comfortable, you probably weren't paying attention! I always figured if you're freezing to death, you're probably not paying attention either.

Another Ahab

Definitely would have been appreciated at the Battle of the Bulge, as I knew a few truck drivers (a lot, actually), that ran their CCKW's with only the top canvas on the cab. The Army figured that if you were comfortable, you probably weren't paying attention! I always figured if you're freezing to death, you're probably not paying attention either.
I had an Uncle was a tank commander (M-4 Shermans) under Patton, and he did tell me a story once of how cold those tanks were during the Bulge. He said buttoned up that they at least kept the wind off of you, but if I remember right there was no "heater" in those things (so I guess collective body heat of the crew was all they had). The End.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
with the Sherman all the air flows into the fighting compartment through the hull and turret vents then into the engine bay and out , so if you want warm air you need to stand behind the tank to get the exhaust heat , by the way VERY VERY bad spot to be with the M1 Abrams ,

Another Ahab

That explains it, eme411, thanks.

He told me that the coldest he had ever been in his life was the night they made the run to intercept the German advance (they covered some amazing mileage in 12 or so hours, nobody thought it could be done, not even the Wehrmacht). Patton was something else.

gerrykan

I had an Uncle was a tank commander (M-4 Shermans) under Patton, and he did tell me a story once of how cold those tanks were during the Bulge. He said buttoned up that they at least kept the wind off of you, but if I remember right there was no "heater" in those things (so I guess collective body heat of the crew was all they had). The End.
A guy that served in Korea said they would run the tank engine up to operating temperature right before bedtime, and then sack out on the deck above the warm engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks