• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CCKW Data plates in Norwegian

biggestc69

Helped a friend haul a CCKW home with the deuce today and all of the data plates are in German. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks for any help in advance.12733990_911109358997048_3594251713679631275_n.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep.

Here is a picture of one I took in Norway in 1980, when I was stationed there with the Marines. The Norwegians were still using them actively, and they looked showroom fresh!

Cheers

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Sorry partner, that's not German. Its Dutch, I think. Dutch is close enough to german for me to read a bit of it, but you need to change the thread to dutch. Lots of refurbishment of army trucks went on during the cold war, and a good part of it went on in Holland, Belgium and Germany. Take care and good luck!!

Guyfang

svaasand

These are indeed Norwegian plates. Very common here in Norway... Almost all WWII trucks in Norwegian use had the original plates replaced with these.
Text is exactly the same as the original US plates, only translated to Norwegian. Speeds are also "translated" to km/hour in addition to original miles/hour.

Norwegian Army auctioned several hundred GMC's in the 1990's.

Foxtrot Oscar

This one's clearly in English and shows a 1955 rebuild carried out by a subsidiary of the Rootes Group based in London, England.

They may have had a re-furb operation over in mainland Europe as it is unlikely the truck would have been transported to England and back to Norway?

The Rootes Group was later absorbed into British Leyland (I think) but during and post WWII were owners of the Hillman and Humber marques among others. The Humber Staff Car was commonly used in Allied Armies prior to the arrival of the Dodge Command Car after USA eventually entered the conflict.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks