• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CCKW with 5th wheel found in yard

senochs5

Hello all, stumbled across a yard with several CCK trucks including this one CCKW with a Fruehof 5th wheel. Looks like a great project. While a long-term auto restorer, this would be my first foray into big trucks. Is it worth pursuing? Seems like 5th wheel versions of these trucks are a little hard to come by. Sorry if I blow this post, its my first. Hopefully the picture is attached.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers. Great first post, it has to be because it has an old hand drooling over your find. Let me know if you pass on it because I won't!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is a civi build on a cckw base, who ever built it sure did a nice job, looks like a old pole truck build for the early oil fields.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron is spot on. Looks like a short wheelbase 352 to me. The back of the frame is cut off either way. Not a difficult fix, only required if you want to make it back into a cargo truck. You would need a donor truck for the back of the frame. (I have a bare frame)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would RESTORE it as it sits, would make a VERY NICE LOOKING truck, Besides, EVERYTHING that we can think to mod these trucks HAS been done on a NEED bases in the military.

senochs5

Bigger tools... yeah that comment resonates... Now that you mention it, I've got a lifetime's accumulation of tools but nothing larger than a 1/2" drive... Going to pursue the build anyway, I'd like to join the fraternity. Thanks for the info so far, I do want to restore it pretty much as is and it helps tremendously to hear all your expertise on why it might be equipped as is. NDT if I must pass it on, I'll post it here first.

FrankUSMC

Bringing a CCKW back from the dead is not for the faint of heart. Parts are very hard to find, I think there is just one guy on our side of the world who sells parts.
Keep in mind the CCKW series of trucks used TWO different drive trains (that is way you see some CCKWs with banjo axles, and others with split axles), and the parts are not interchangeable, you also had a short and long frame (think drive shafts, and brake lines). Even back in the 1980s when Nice rebuilt CCKWs were coming into the states from Europe parts could be spotty to find. Tires? it does not use the common (read cheap) 900:20s like the M35 series truck but the 750:20 tires, go price the tires with tubes, then go times 11, it get very expensive fast, plus getting them changed.
I am not raining on your parade, but I do not want to see you buy the trucks, get in over your head, get discouraged and you give up on the hobby. I see in the photo a great parts truck to keep others going. If you can get the truck cheap, go for it, and break it up to keep other trucks going.
I have owned 2 CCKWs, they are great trucks, but both of mine were rebuilds.
I wish you luck on what ever route you take and thanks for saving our history.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

FrankUSMC

Every CCKW would look great fully restored! When you find a CCKW that has been modified and made into a work truck, when they are park, it is for a reason....a $$$$ reason. I also forgot to add that the early CCKWs had a completely different brake systems from later ones. I just do not want the guy to get on over his head on a truck that is hard to restore.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

senochs5

FRANKUSMC: Thank you for taking the time to give me the heads up. Great info to consider heavily. Question regarding parts... when you say there is one guy on this side of the world with parts are you referring to replacement (remanufactured or NOS) or just parts off of parts trucks? There is a handful (6 to 10) other trucks of this style in the pile, though with single rear axle, and with cannibalization... some have the same style cab as the CCKW in the pic, others have a square shaped cab. If these trucks are a good, the best, or the only source of parts, then perhaps it makes sense to stock up? A couple of acres for storage would be nice. Are you guys laughing at my question regarding reman or new parts??? They don't exist, do they...

FrankUSMC

Not laughing, as I do not want anyone to get in over there heads on a project. No body parts are being made now, you can still find engine parts easy as the engine was made for years. If you can pick parts off the trucks, you need to get on G503.com and go to the 2 1/2 forum. Ask there what parts you need to grab off the trucks. The trucks with the single axle are Chevy 1 1/2 ton trucks, again get on G503.com, and ask what to pull off. I started collecting military trucks back in the 1970s. When I would find some trucks like you have I would pull all the parts I could, I would then resell them to support my hobby. This way the truck I was storing would not cost me that much, or I would use the money to buy a truck already done. Some of the biggest names in the hobby today started out that way back in the 70s and 80s.
Good luck.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok if there are 9 other trucks there, a requirement of membership on this website is that you share the location information. Its in the fine print, really😉

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks