• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging issue

cfish

Been driving my m1009 a bit lately. Charge on the voltmeter usually top of the yellow when first started and after a minute usually works its way to 3/4 top of green arc. Last weekend drove it at night with heater and lights on and after a short while volt gauge down into the yellow. Drew my batteries down by the time I made it to my house. Took both batteries today to auto parts and one was dead. Replaced the bad battery and started the cucv. Volt gauge still in yellow. Other battery was not charged and currently have it on charge. I know it requires enough voltage to excite the alternator. With the one good battery and one discharged could I still have a problem of not exciting one of the alternators? Both alternators putting out current around 14-15 volts. Or should I check for a grounding issue. All the cables are good and clean and fairly new.
Thanks

87cr250r

A 100 amp alternator will take about 45 minutes to fully charge a dead battery.

I would start your diagnostics first by fully charging your batteries, 12.6 volts. Put them in the truck and start it. They should immediately jump to 14+ volts if the alternators are working.

If the batteries are anything less than 12.6 volts then you're going to have to wait for them to charge to get the full picture on the alternator condition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks