• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging two batteries from dual charger

Mark3395

I've got a nice pulse tech battery charger that's done a good job of recovering some ArmaSafe batteries.

Got a question though:

The charger has two sets of clamps, so it can work two batteries at a time.

Is it best to disconnect the dogbone between the batteries so they're separated, or is it OK to leave them attached and just clamp onto them. I don't know if charging them while attached will cause some inefficienty.

Thanks much for your wisdom. (OK, so I'm assuming here, but am always impressed with the knowledge present at this site.

Regards,

Mark

WyoDeuce

I tried for 3 months to revover 2 ammasafe batteries that came in my deuce. They were manufactured 9 of 06. I was never able to get them to come back to life. They would only work when it was warm out. I was using a 24v BatteryMinder from Northern. Nice charger but the batteries were too far gone. I put 2 950cca batteries from wall mart and I couldn't be happier. Starts in the frigid cold and only cost $160 for the pair. I spent more than that trying to save the old ones. (BatteryMinder, Solargizer and a block heater) Good Luck with your AmmaSafe batts.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on your battery charger as to whether you need to remove the connection between the batteries. If the two sets of leads from the charger are wired in parallel inside the charger, you will have the situation of a 24V connection across the 12V charger. However, if the two charging circuits are completely independent of each other, you should be OK. If you don't know for certain, remove the connection.

I have a 24V charger, but I also sometimes charge both batteries connected in parallel using one 12V charger

emr

Youabsolutly do NOT have to separate the batts, please read the above battery post i just put in, U can even put more than one charger on each batt at a time as long as they do not total more than 12 volts, its really that simple, U both of your batts have at least 12 volts in em, your chargers are putting out under 12 volts, so how is this possible to be a problem, it is not, your chargers will slow at the time the batt is getting full and decrease the charge to not over charge, and will only bring it close to a full charge anyway, very few chargers are cabable of fully cherging a battery and that is not a problem anyway, the ultimate set up is haveing an on board 12 volt for each batt, that is what I am going to change to when I get the dough, i have 24 volt chargers in each truck now, but the same problem occurs from your trucks charging system , it loads one batt and then it spills over to the next batt, it does this at the same time only to an extent, so the last batt is usually a little low unless there is adaquit charge times available for your truck, and if u use a single 24 volt U should pull the batts clean em and charge em individually and rotate them, Like I said in the above post on a batt questuon, it is just inexperience, we all have had to learn this, Do not listen to the local mechanic they just do not know, very very rarely , U need to call the techs at the manufacturers, like start at batterystuff.com and make a list of questions and ask and write down the answers, u will find most people do not understand how simple abattery is, recently needed to get the 925 going on a very very cold day, and I forgot to keep the charger on and needed more umph, so i slaved it I plugged in the on board 24 volt and put my 4 battery at a time charger one lead on each batt, this is fine and ok to do , nothing got hot no fuses blew because it is ok, as long as an inividual battery does not get more than 12 volts at a time, the chargers will just automaticly slow down the charge rate as they get full, If some one crosses a wire and starts welding well thats human error, not the chargers.

Last edited: