• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap EBAY Mirrors for your humvee REVIEW..

tomelroy

I recently purchased some mirrors for my Hmmwv. Found a new set on ebay for 225.00 plus shipping. Ebay pics looked good, but when i received it I realized these are a Cheap reproduction.. The mirrors themselves looked ok, but the brackets are a joke, and have been painted with cheap paint after they wer assembled....and the IMG_8818.jpgIMG_8819.jpg

paint flaked off everywhere when installing and adjusting...bare metal under paint flakes flash rusted when it sprinkled during installation. Unlike an OEM mirror, these do not fold, but have a FAKE or False folding mechanism. Bolt on the left mirror is so long you have to remove it from the Fake folding mechanism to get the clearance to install the bracket the the windshield frame. They are a disaster.....

Whoever manufactured these counterfeit parts should be ashamed. Pay the extra for OEM!

Last edited:

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have to be VERY careful.

I was also debating on what to do with my 30 year old mirrors that were is really terrible shape. After looking at new sets, and how expensive they were, and unsure if they were really poorly made, but expensive Chinese knock offs, I spent a lot of time refinishing what I had. They turned out ok - meaning they pass the 10 foot away inspection!

At least it only cost me two rattle cans of paint.

If they peel or rust, I'll just do them again...

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
" Whoever manufactured these counterfeit parts should be ashamed. Pay the extra for OEM! "

Sorry to say, but whoever paid good money for a set on ebay, when the originals from a reputable source aren't all that much more (about $275 for a pair of them straight from AM General) is the one who should be ashamed.
As long as there are people willing to take the risk of buying parts from untrusted sources, there will always be cheap knockoffs.

If you don't purchase from a reputable source (OEM Suppliers or known good vendors like Beltfed on ebay) then you're the one at fault.
Chalk this up as a cheap learning lesson, as some people have had MUCH more expensive lessons than that one.

I'll admit, first set of mirrors I purchased was a set from China. It was $110 for the pair shipped at the time, when the OEM were about $200 for the pair.
I used them until I had caught up with all the more important repairs and missing items, then handed them off to the next guy that bought a truck with no mirrors. I think he's also replaced them with OEM since then, but couldn't tell you for certain. If he hasn't, they're probably on the truck he drives less of the 2 he owns.

I just checked ebay, can't find any black ones at $225 plus shipping, so I'm guessing they are now at $250 plus shipping ($22), which brings them pretty close to AM General's price of $137.71 each or $275.42 for the pair plus freight (unless you want to wait for one of their free shipping sales, then price is almost the same for either)

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
" Whoever manufactured these counterfeit parts should be ashamed. Pay the extra for OEM! "

Sorry to say, but whoever paid good money for a set on ebay, when the originals from a reputable source aren't all that much more (about $275 for a pair of them straight from AM General) is the one who should be ashamed.
As long as there are people willing to take the risk of buying parts from untrusted sources, there will always be cheap knockoffs.

If you don't purchase from a reputable source (OEM Suppliers or known good vendors like Beltfed on ebay) then you're the one at fault.
Chalk this up as a cheap learning lesson, as some people have had MUCH more expensive lessons than that one.

I'll admit, first set of mirrors I purchased was a set from China. It was $110 for the pair shipped at the time, when the OEM were about $200 for the pair.
I used them until I had caught up with all the more important repairs and missing items, then handed them off to the next guy that bought a truck with no mirrors. I think he's also replaced them with OEM since then, but couldn't tell you for certain. If he hasn't, they're probably on the truck he drives less of the 2 he owns.

I just checked ebay, can't find any black ones at $225 plus shipping, so I'm guessing they are now at $250 plus shipping ($22), which brings them pretty close to AM General's price of $137.71 each or $275.42 for the pair plus freight (unless you want to wait for one of their free shipping sales, then price is almost the same for either)

$140 bucks each for AMG is not bad. Sure it is suckie for what seems so simple. Want to fall out of your chair? ... check the price for a new one of any late model of truck on the road today.

Good thing it doesn't have a computer in it, CAMO

Hammer

They are cheap for a reason.
I got mine from Coug. (Thanks again!) Used them for a while to have something for mirrors while I was getting my tops and doors, etc. on my two trucks.
As soon as I could, I got real ones though. Much better made, worth the cost.

tomelroy

am general is and was out of stock,, mac only had one left side (needed 2 sets)....and I had no clue they were reproductions untiI I opened the box, didnt even know reproductions were a thing, but seller has accepted the return. So, I just purchased some OEMS on ebay!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks