• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy/ Gmc 6.2 diesel gearbox swap

terik88

I would like to aske someone if it has been swaped transmission from automatic to manual transmission?
I have a GMC sierra classic 6.2 diesel 4x4 with automatic transmission. I've seen some on youtube videos with that gearbox swap.
I see that NV4500 gearbox is the best considering heavy pulling at times.

I am rebuilding another 6.2 Diesel with turbo (possibly twin turbo) too add more power to the truck.

I am grateful for answers and tips and tricks regarding this project i have going on.

Barrman

What year exactly is the truck you are doing this to? 2wd or 4x4?

If it is a square body (1973-1987 single cab or the square Suburban, Blazer and 4 door until 1991). They had large tunnel and small tunnel floors depending on 4x4 or not. I don't think the NV4500 will fit in the small tunnel floor.

They also made trucks with manual transmissions so the tunnel can be removed. That makes things so much easier to work on.

Knowing the body style and drive system helps with which bell housing you should or shouldn't use.

Getting a junk yard complete clutch and brake pedal assembly will be a must. I would suggest new bushings on everything that moves for the pedals too.

Tell us exactly what you have and we can go from there.

terik88

I have a 1988 2door sierra classic (K30) 4x4 square body.

the plan was and buy all the parts and assemble it together as if one should have built lego and gained a complete and usable product.
but if it is possible and obtain pedal set to GMC going to be difficult, I think I'll check on ebay if it is possible and obtain flywheel and clutch and everything needed and put this together and get it working.

will there not be any problems with the drive shaft on the basis of transmission I have? I could imagine and discuss this further before I break the bank myself completely on parts for the truck.

Regards Røed. uploadfromtaptalk1433277430956.jpg

Barrman

1985 Chevy K30 with the J code 6.2 diesel clutch, flywheel and pressure plate is what you need. Any auto parts store here in the US will have those parts. I put those exact parts on my 6.2 in the M715 with a NV4500 behind it. You will need to change out your 6.2 starter to the large opening nose cone. You will also be better off with a diesel NV4500 bellhousing as they have more clearance for the starter nose cone. Gasser bellhousings can be ground a little to make them fit though.

Because the NV4500 showed up at the same time Chevy went to drivers side drop transfer cases. The first few years had the clutch slave cylinder on the bottom passenger side of the bellhousing. That will not work well with your truck. You will need the combination slave cylinder/throw out bearing version. I think 1996 and newer had that, but am not sure.

I do not know what version of the NV4500 you need to find so it will bolt up to a married NP208 transfer case. Nor do I know what you need when it comes to transmission mount, crossmember or drive shafts. I have seen many post on different web sites about this though and suggest you search the web. CK5.com is where I would start.

Bummy

Hey guys I know I have not been on in a while. Can't remember how to start threads but want to swap a nv3500 in my 1028 so the 6.2 quits screaming at 65.:shock::shock: Can find one pretty cheap on the Internet and it looks to be the same length and spline for the np208. Just wondering if any one has done this also the nv3500 can take over 300ft of tourqe so I am not scared of putting it behind the old boat anchor.rofl

terik88

1985 Chevy K30 with the J code 6.2 diesel clutch, flywheel and pressure plate is what you need. Any auto parts store here in the US will have those parts. I put those exact parts on my 6.2 in the M715 with a NV4500 behind it. You will need to change out your 6.2 starter to the large opening nose cone. You will also be better off with a diesel NV4500 bellhousing as they have more clearance for the starter nose cone. Gasser bellhousings can be ground a little to make them fit though.

Because the NV4500 showed up at the same time Chevy went to drivers side drop transfer cases. The first few years had the clutch slave cylinder on the bottom passenger side of the bellhousing. That will not work well with your truck. You will need the combination slave cylinder/throw out bearing version. I think 1996 and newer had that, but am not sure.

I do not know what version of the NV4500 you need to find so it will bolt up to a married NP208 transfer case. Nor do I know what you need when it comes to transmission mount, crossmember or drive shafts. I have seen many post on different web sites about this though and suggest you search the web. CK5.com is where I would start.
yes this I must say, I'll just start and check up in parts and try me out and see if there is someone who can carry/ ship it over to Norway for a decent price. I appreciate your answer!

Regards Terik88.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks