• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy PTO winch

bkwudzhom

I was down at my Parents yesterday and hit a local mechanincs place. In his "junkyard" I came across the following truck. It was an old power company truck with a PTO driven winch for rolling up wire and has a narrow stepside style bed with bolt on tool boxes on the side. The guy wasn't home so I was not able to question price. Any one know anything of theses type winches? If it is rated high enough I am going to look into getting it for my M1008.

Attachments

Last edited:

2deuce

It looks cool, but it also looks like alot of added weight up front besides the fact that it will be a ton of work to get it on a M1008. Probably would be best to buy the whole truck to get everything you will need.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better pictures of the drum and gearbox would help. It is probably at 8000# which would be plenty big enough for a pick-up , you can always add snatch blocks to increase the pulling power.

you can probably get info on that kind of set-up from Sam Winer Motors. one of their main businesses is industrial winch applications, and ive seen literature on similar set-ups in their parts dept.

Big_Ian

I’m 10 years late but doesn’t seem like anyone knows jack about the shaft driven PTOs. The shaft driven PTO(power take off) winched have a driveshaft that’s connected to a PTO gearbox that is either connected to the Transmission(usually manual but I’ve seen some for automatics) or connected to the transfer case. PTO winches are meant to be used for work, not recovery. You can’t use wheel power and winch power at the same time due to the PTO unit using the gear power from the transmission or the transfer case via the engine. Once you engage the PTO You can choose what gear you want for the job, if you use a low gear the winch will be slow but strong and vice versa with a high gear. If you want to use it on your CUCV and it’s not a M1031(the M1031 has a 205 transfer case with a PTO port) you are going to have to change either the transfer case or transmission because nether one had a PTO port. If you don’t plan to use your winch ever day it’s not really worth the effort to install the winch, PTO, driveshaft, and make all the proper clearance for the PTO and driveshaft. I’ve heard of hydrologic PTOs that connect to the power steering but I am not familiar with that at all.

2deuce

Those Warn and Bellevue 8274 winches are really strong. I have mine attached to a stinger so I can mount it to a receiver when I need it. I don't like carrying around the weight all the time on the truck, because I only use it to pull something occasionally, and on my trailer, not as a recovery winch. That big PTO winch would be brutal to haul around, even if you were only going to use it on a farm or ranch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks