• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy TBI fuel pump to push oil through filters

Crawdaddy

I have an old Chevy throttle-body fuel pump that was pulled from an 80s bodystyle Suburban that was still good when it was pulled. Would it be able to push WMO through a couple of spin-on filters, specifically a waterblock filter to be later filtered through filter bags?

I'm looking to heat up WMO in a beer keg with the top opened and water heater elements to try to boil the water off, then run it through a spin-on water separating filter, then finally through some filter bags down to .5-1 micron. I know it won't be fast, but it's probably fast enough for the filter bags to keep up.

Beyond Biodiesel

Are you planning on burning your WMO straight, or do you plan to thin it? If you are going to thin it, then you may find thinning it first will cause the water to precipitate out in a few days of settling, so you will not have to boil the water off. Also, thinned oil will pass through your filters easier than straight WMO. Otherwise the I have read of people using SBC oil pumps as an oil transfer pump.

Crawdaddy

I was planning to mix the WMO with diesel in somewhere between a 75/25 diesel/oil mix, potentially down to 50/50, but I was planning to blend it in the deuce tank. I don't want to run too much WMO in the mix to try to avoid coking.

I have read about people using SBC oil pumps to move oil too, but I have a fuel pump on my hands. I'll resort to building an oil pump if I have to, but that involves cost and tools I don't already have.

6x6TRex

Do you mean the electric in tank pump? That's not going to pump straight WMO very well if at all through a couple filters, it doesn't have a big enough motor to pump WMO. Pick yourself up a SBC oil pump and a 1/2 HP motor and you'll have a decent pump.

I built my own WMO pump for ~$30 using parts I had laying around. I used a 1/4 HP motor, SBF oil pump, and a Napa 1759 Filter on a modified base (no relief valve). I'm guessing it pumps somewhere between 5-10 GPM.

I'm currently working on building one with a 1 1/2 HP motor and a SBC oil pump using the same filter setup.

SAM_0847.jpgSAM_0844.jpgSAM_0845.jpg

Beyond Biodiesel

I was planning to mix the WMO with diesel in somewhere between a 75/25 diesel/oil mix, potentially down to 50/50, but I was planning to blend it in the deuce tank. I don't want to run too much WMO in the mix to try to avoid coking.
I know from bitter experience that blending waste oils with solvents in the fuel tank is asking for trouble, because when you blend solvents, such as gasoline, kerosene or diesel fuel, with waste oils, even highly filter ones, then precipitates can form in your fuel tank, which is not where you want them.

6x6TRex

Nice idea TRex, that is the set up I need. Any spare SBF oil pumps available?
JC
For the right price (more than $30 lol) I'll sell the entire setup. It works great just leaks a little from the pump and fittings (no sealant on the fittings).

I need to take the oil pump apart and clean it and the lines out but I'm fairly certain it needs a new filter.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, found new pump assemblies cheaper that originally thought. I have a motor and can, now just a little time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks