• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chocks

tbearatkin

Somewhere at a location overseas about the year 1987. The conversation in the office must have went something like this: "Petty Officer Brunelle, why do you need a wrecker at the Test Cell this morning? You had your crew doing what in the dark while it was pouring rain? Do you know what wheel chocks are?"

248881_221092681249021_2671919_n.jpg253601_221092584582364_3539299_n.jpgWhat do you mean the parking brakes don't work on these 5 tons?

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I watched a Marine M818 roll down a hill at a very small camp in El Salvador some years ago. As it rolled from the motor park down hill into the ditch that bisected the camp, the Marine jumped from the cab. From my perspective it looked like he **** near rolled into the path of the truck right before it crashed into the ditch. Chock blocks are indeed critical items.

tbearatkin

The person that did this said his boot did not stop it either, nor did the yellow tape they made us put around our projects to stop things from entering the area.
I can see the problem from here, The asphalt gave out around the front of this perfectly parked 5 ton. No SeaBee I know would ever let this happen? HAAAAAAA Who the **** am I kidding.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Looks like Ron was driving it. :burn:
Not really, I drove (flew)the 819 out of the ditch, did a field repair or 2, then DROVE it to the maintenance yard 1 1/2 mile away, where it waited transport to its home LZ for permanent repairs, sure was not like someone I knew who laid his truck on its side and required a LOT of help just to get wheels DOWN.

sandcobra164

I'm still in and I can see the purpose for them on the older air over hydraulic trucks and the HMMWV's but we still have to use them on straight air trucks with spring brakes such as LMTV's, Hemmt's, LHS's, PLS's and such. As long as you pull the parking brake diamond out, it's not going anywhere. Forget to pull that out, once it leaks down to 60 psi, it's popping out on it's own. Chock blocks on current trucks are overkill but for the older stuff we roll in, not a bad idea.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about cucvs, and since cucvs are not very high on the important list, did not read it the first or second time around.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

I keep my parking brake nice and tight but I use clocks too just in case. At the storage lot the parking area slopes back a little so I back the deuce up against a nice thick railroad tie. I then apply the parking brake and chocks.

FrankUSMC

In Crash Crew, we keep a crash truck with full crew on the runway during all flight ops (hotspot). They can be on an aircraft in seconds when there is trouble. We were on an operation one time, and a 2ndLt walks up to one of my crash trucks at hotspot. He asks the crew chief why he does not have the truck chocked? My young Marine could only say "really?Sir?
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

TacticalDoc

Where do you put your chocks? I put 2 behind the driver side rear wheels (middle axle and rear axle). It rests on a small incline.

When you're not on an incline where do you put them?

After looking at the video below I should put 2 behind my rear right and left tires.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Where do you put your chocks? I put 2 behind the driver side rear wheels (middle axle and rear axle). It rests on a small incline.

When you're not on an incline where do you put them?

After looking at the video below I should put 2 behind my rear right and left tires.
Those tires looked under-inflated:

- wonder if that monster rig might have rolled over those chocks if the tires were at full pressure?

Not sure, would that make a difference?

TehTDK

In Crash Crew, we keep a crash truck with full crew on the runway during all flight ops (hotspot). They can be on an aircraft in seconds when there is trouble. We were on an operation one time, and a 2ndLt walks up to one of my crash trucks at hotspot. He asks the crew chief why he does not have the truck chocked? My young Marine could only say "really?Sir?
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
I would think a truck under power would be able to negotiate the chocks without incident?.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks