• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Choctaw H140 Heater fuel pumps.

cancunlarry

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 5 of these Choctaw heaters. All of them have the same problem no fuel pressure. I am aware of the problem with the oil they used in these fuel pumps.
My questions below answer the same issue What is the best way to get these running?

cancunlarry

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 5 of these Choctaw heaters. All of them have the same problem no fuel pressure. I am aware of the problem with the oil they used in these fuel pumps.
My questions below answer the same issue What is the best way to get these running?
Has anyone rebuilt one of these?
Can you buy new ones?
Is there a rebuild kit?
Is there a replacement pump?
Is there a way to pump something through them to clean them?
Any answers are appreciated

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one that I started working on today. It had been drained so I was able to see the pump fill the filter to know it was working. But when holding purge it took a loooooong time to get it to show some pressure. Then when I turn to heat it goes up to 120psi and doesn’t fire. So I have to figure out how to get inside to get the goo out of the fuel nozzle. I read a lot of them have goo filled lines and that makes it look like the pump is dead also. I’m going to dig into it again tomorrow. Was yours drained?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
are you getting any burn when looking thru the inspection glass?
if not, i would pull the burner assy, and disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump and push K1 thru the line backwards with a syringe or something low pressure. Just bc you have psi on the gauge doesnt mean there is pressure to the burner.

h140 fuel.jpg

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the burner best accessed by removing the top of the unit? I have arc in the sight glass so I think I’m in the same spot as the OP and need to clean that pump to nozzle line like you said.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went in through the heat port. Removed the burner, removed the nozzle. Nozzle was pretty clean and not clogged. Found a clog in the fuel line about even with where they brazed that stainless cover onto it. Put it all back together and works like a champ. I did notice mine doesnt have what looks to be a screen on the back of the nozzle as shown in the TM. So hopefully it doesnt need that. But it seems to be working as it should now. Flame runs a bit then turns off to dissipate the heat. I do get some smoking out of the exhaust elbow because its such a loose fit. Thanks for the information so I could get it up and running!

cancunlarry

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one that I started working on today. It had been drained so I was able to see the pump fill the filter to know it was working. But when holding purge it took a loooooong time to get it to show some pressure. Then when I turn to heat it goes up to 120psi and doesn’t fire. So I have to figure out how to get inside to get the goo out of the fuel nozzle. I read a lot of them have goo filled lines and that makes it look like the pump is dead also. I’m going to dig into it again tomorrow. Was yours drained?
Yes all 5 of mine are drained of diesel fuel, and I can't get any of them to show pressure. Can you buy new fuel pumps?? What should you use to clean the lines and fuel pump?

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine took about 20-30 seconds of holding purge the first time to get it pumping. I left the side access open so I could see it fill up the water separator on the fuel filter. But the only clogged line I had was about 6' from the nozzle in the burner compartment. So you might have lines clogged elsewhere.

cancunlarry

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine took about 20-30 seconds of holding purge the first time to get it pumping. I left the side access open so I could see it fill up the water separator on the fuel filter. But the only clogged line I had was about 6' from the nozzle in the burner compartment. So you might have lines clogged elsewhere.
Shouldn't the bowl fill up without pushing the purge while in Vent mode?
What is the purge buttton purging?

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the lines filled with air it has to push the air somewhere. It looks like the purge engages the fuel pump and sends fuel back to the tank. So that wait the air is out of the lines except for the line to the nozzle. Mine wouldn’t fill the bowl until I held purge. In cool down the arc is going but not the fuel. The arc is electrical not diesel. The electric arc ignites the diesel in heat mode when it sprays fuel ton the nozzle .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks