• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

civi motor ?

Skip

I have a flat head six that I think is a civilian motor, Is there a difference and how do you tell? Also there is a plate on the side, all that is readable is, starting at the bottom, 010,030, and on top 040. does this mean the motor has been bored out three times?

TIA

Jones

Are we talking Dodge as in M-37? If so, the only differences are waterproof ignition and slightly different plumbing to get air into the carb. The bigger Chrysler sixes sometimes found in them are physically longer and so require the motor mount stamping on the front of the engine to be reversed so that the mount ears point backwards instead of forward.

The plate may indicate .010 over rod bearings, .030 over mains, and cylinders bored .040 over stock. At least, that's the way my old weapons carrier engine was marked.

Carter

If the oil filler tube is bolted to the block with a two hole flange it's a military block, but if the tube is a press in type and the block doesn't have a two stud mounting flange for the tube it is a civ. block. Also the blocks serial number should start with T245 then the rest of the serial no. if it's military. HTH. Carter

Carter

Good points on the filler tube and engine ser.no. Carter. I forgot about those details.
Thanks, I have owned and been working on M37s since I got my first one in 1971 and have had 7 so far and still have the restored one I now drive and just bought another 2 weeks ago, I was bound to have learned something about them :-D then every once in a while find another thing that makes me think " so that's what that is" I still have a lot to learn.:|

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks