• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian CV boot part number

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Goofing around today I noticed that a CV boot is leaking on my 1038. Anyone have a civilian part number that can be used? (Didn't find one searching)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah that's the AM General part number, but unfortunately it doesn't make sense to Advance Auto.

tage

I would try Dorman 614001. Specs:
Inside diameter: 3.85 inch
Shaft end diameter. 0.93 inch

Dorman # 614003 is 3.44 & 0.98 inch respectfully. I would say order both, see which one matches up, and return the other one?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm thinking that 614003 is the way to go. The CV appears closer to that size. Afraid the 3.85 would be too large.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know I can order them online, was just hoping for a civy part number to pick it up locally today.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally....I don't bother replacing CV boots. You can get a half shaft for so cheap its not worth the labor.
amd if it's an outer boot, forget it, you have to replace both anyway.
if it's the newer A2 HS is takes a plastic type boot, not the old rubber version easily torn. They are not interchangeable and that good it like 45.00 or more.

use duct tape...it last for some time.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Personally....I don't bother replacing CV boots. You can get a half shaft for so cheap its not worth the labor.
amd if it's an outer boot, forget it, you have to replace both anyway.
if it's the newer A2 HS is takes a plastic type boot, not the old rubber version easily torn. They are not interchangeable and that good it like 45.00 or more.

use duct tape...it last for some time.
Boot was only $19 with grease, would have been cheaper online if I waited. There's a cool trick with a funnel for boots without having to tear them down I use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFf1zJpTBMI

Had the CV been clicking or leaking since the time I had it, I'd have replaced the halfs. But since it literally opened up yesterday I decided to try the quick and dirty fix.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to see a video of someone actually replacing the boot. Does the above work? Doesn't it rip the smallest portion?

I don't have the tools I guess. I cut the boot off of one I replaced and I'll be darned if I could figure out how to replace it. I've seen so many comments about replacing them, even someone has a short video on replacing but they don't show _actually_ replacing it. They talk to it.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just to clarify- did this boot work on a 12k shaft?
Nope. I'm not running 12K shafts.

I'd love to see a video of someone actually replacing the boot. Does the above work? Doesn't it rip the smallest portion?

I don't have the tools I guess. I cut the boot off of one I replaced and I'll be darned if I could figure out how to replace it. I've seen so many comments about replacing them, even someone has a short video on replacing but they don't show _actually_ replacing it. They talk to it.
Didn't tear mine when I did it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks