• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning of cooling radiator fins

319cssb

I was cleaning off some crud and noticed a lot of dirt running out from the fins of the radiator. I tried to rinse it as best as I could.
what is the best way to do this?

319cssb

There are several layers of radiators plus a quite large area to cover through a relatively small and obstructed opening.
makes one wonder how effective a far gen hose really is.

Duckworthe

Garden Hose is the best way and use some cleaners if needed. I saw a guy clean his radiator at the car wash once. I said be careful, he said he knew what he was doing. Then I heard him cussing. Wait.......Wait for it..........Yep he destroyed it! HA guess he did know just what he was doing (buying a new radiator)! Your location and offroad activities dictate the cleaning process, but never use a high pressure water or air. It WILL bend the fins and then you will be using a radiator comb to fix it if you even can. I like to spray a cleaner into the radiator if needed and just flush, flush, flush with water. I've seen some that were required to be removed and soaked in tubs of water to be cleaned being caked in mud/clay. Of course cap the inlets and outlets first. Clay, its a terrible thing. Probably even worst than sand for equipment.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use a steam cleaner too, just remember to NOT direct the stream at one spot too long. I do this on dump trucks, trash trucks, off road equipment and OTR trucks that have plugged cores, had good luck doing this for 30 years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks