• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold start wiring diagram

kurtkds

Any body have the wiring diagram for the cold start circuit for an M818? I've looked through the TM's that I have but have had no luck. I'm not quite ready to reverse engineer it yet.

I'm trying to figure the operation of it, specifically if there is a timer involved similar to the "wait to start" in a CUCV or if it comes on when you flip the switch.

kurtkds

That looks to be what I'm looking for! Is that in a 5 ton specific TM?

I thought that you would chime in at some point with a solution.

Which TM did that come out of, I'd like to be able to print out a full size copy.

I was curious about the operation of that circuit because of the comment in the -10 about wait 30 seconds and if light does not come on call for help.

jwaller

no timer. 1 12V wire from pos terminal of 1 battery to the switch on dash. then a wire going to the light on dash and the plug on the intake manifold.

read the data plate on the dash for proper operation of the cold start system. light should come on as soon as you turn the switch. it's direct wired to the battery.

IT IS 12VOLTS!!! check the light if it's not coming on.

if it's dim, replace it with a 12V light. the TM's show it as a 24V bulb but it's a 12V circuit.

kurtkds

Ok, I found this in the elec. trouble shooting section under the heading of "heating system".. I guess I was not using a broad enough search pattern.. lol

Cranetruck the 260-20 that I have has the most current date of Apr 1995.

Attachments

Last edited:

kurtkds

read the data plate on the dash for proper operation of the cold start system. light should come on as soon as you turn the switch. it's direct wired to the battery.

The dash instructions were what I'm following, the -10 had the statement about the light not coming on in 30 seconds, that is where I was hung up.

It hasn't been cold enough here since I picked up this truck to test out the cold start circuit, but I had planned on getting into the wiring with a meter to check things out to make sure that it was ok before I REALLY needed it.

The light does come on as soon as the switch is turned on, I figured that if anything I would check the glow plug, that seems to be the part that would fail first.

papercu

One of the nice things about the electronic version is the ability for searching. The 1995 version has
"COLD START SWITCH - Controls 12-volt power to activate or deactivate cold starting system.
COLD START RELAY – Maintains glow plug voltage by reducing the resistance in series with
glow plug during cranking.
COLD START RESISTOR – Regulates 6-volt power to cold start indicator and glow plug".
There is a relay and a Resistor Assembly after the switch. Wayne

jwaller

Ok, I found this in the elec. trouble shooting section under the heading of "heating system".. I guess I was not using a broad enough search pattern.. lol

Cranetruck the 260-20 that I have has the most current date of Apr 1995.
that last diagram is in error. the cold start switch in only a 2 position switch. it's either off or on, there is no start position.

kurtkds

that last diagram is in error. the cold start switch in only a 2 position switch. it's either off or on, there is no start position.

I had caught that too. I wonder if they had tried to run it that way and figured that it didn't work too well and went back to a traditional switch..

70deuce

Definitely make sure it wired at the batteries for 12 volts. My M818 had the system powered by 24 volts and the glow plug was fried. Two large resistors on the firewall bring the voltage down to 6 volts for the glow plug and man do they get hot even with 12 volt power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks