• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Communism revisited

SterlingDevelop

I spent much time today at local Communist Party Headquarters (the auto tag place)
trying to register my truck.
After several trips and false starts, there is actually paperwork on the way to Harrisburg.

It seems that the trouble started with the previous owners' attempts to get around the GVW registration fees by having it titled as 7000 lbs GVW. How he did this, God knows, but had he been stopped there would have been "some 'splainin' to do"

I had to go get the truck weighed at a certified scale, and then get a licensed inspection mechanic to sign off on the corrected GVW. I had to take a photograph of the data plate, and provide a translation. (it's in German). The truck weighs 12,600 lbs. empty, and the data plate translates to 19,800 lbs. GVW.

Anyway, there is still a question that I cannot seem to get a straight answer to, and I am looking for input.

Must I stop at weigh stations, and/or commercial vehicle safety checkpoints??

I have applied for Antique tags, which have a bunch of limitations and exemptions, and I have asked three different LEOs, and received the following answers:

1. No, you do not have to stop. ( I like this answer)

2. You must stop, but they will probably wave you on through when they see the tags.
I have seen some of the backups at weigh stations, and this does not apeal to me.

3. You are not required to stop, but when an officer sees that weird monster truck bypass the weigh station, he will probably give chase, and then feel obligated to ticket you for something. I asked if a printout of the relevant motor vehicle code sections would benefit me, and was told that the officer would probably refuse to read it as a matter of policy, and tell me to "save it for the judge".

I have had similar experiences with law enforcement, and this seems the most likely answer, but I would really like to know definitively if I'm required to stop.

Also, if I did not get the Antique tags, and used the truck for non-commercial, not-for-hire purposes, (much as I use my 1/2 ton Chevy) how would that change the answer?

Anybody want to shed some more mud on the subject? :roll: :?:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The key word here is "commercial".
Weigh stations check for overloaded vehicles, inspect driver logbooks, DOT physicals, cargo manifests, do safety inspections and try to make commercial traffic as safe as possible.
If you are not engaged in a "for hire" enterprise you are exempt since you won't have an Interstate Commerce Commission sticker or DOT number.
You may still be required to stop at agriculture inspection stations (Fla has them) and once in a while they inspect all trucks, big and small (this happened a lot after 911). They will usually put a lighted sign out before the inspection station when doing this.
Make sure that your vehicle is road worthy, legally tagged and that your load is secured if you have one. Don't be a "violation magnet".
What you do and how you look is a reflection on the hobby and the rest of your fellow MVers
That being said, there is always a "Barney Fife" out there that wants to treat you as public enemy number one if you blow by his bailiwick.
Just remember, it is always easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
I was an over-the-road driver for many years and a good attitude and polite disposition will get you good treatment in most cases if you are stopped.
Just MHO.

acetomatoco

In VT, the signs say "All Trucks Stop".... so if you have a pickup with what looks like a commercial load and/ or a trailer, they like you to stop and say howdy... If you have a big antique truck they really like you to stop so they can admire it and ask you a bunch of questions just like you were at a Antique Truck Show... ask me how I know....My 1958 Dodge D800 Hemi (392) flat bed dump with a brand new washing machine on the bed which I won at the Home Show caused a 15 minute back up at a local weigh station when all the inspectors had to ask "you got a Hemi in dat ting?... Much drooling and smiling and off I went...ACE

SterlingDevelop

Here in PA, some of the signs say "All truck over 10,000 GVW" stop.
Some just say "weigh station open" and "all trucks next right"
When it says all trucks and I'm in the Silverado, I don't stop. :D
Should it really say "all commercial vehicles over 10,000 gvw stop"?

dabtl

RE: Doesn

In Texas we got a MV license good for five years. No inspection, no plates, no stickers, no weighing and just a lot of fun.

Your mileage may vary.

rmgill

I pull my deuce through the weigh stations, wave, get waves back and keep on going. The two times I've been "stopped" was at the same location. First time they just wanted to chat and admire the truck/armored car. The second time they red lighted me to the scales, they just wanted to say "hi" and ask me how my year was (the guy remembered me from the previous year). Frankly, I don't mind swinging through the weigh station, if I need help, getting to know the local DOT guys will be useful because then they'll likely remember me and be more friendly because of my stopping in. I think it's a good idea.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

Weight stations are going to turn into the new repetitive CDL thread. I wish there was a definitive answer though.

SterlingDevelop

Sound like some of you have had good experiences with law enforcement.
That's great, it's how it should be!!
My experiences have not been so good.
I take the advice to be polite and accomodating to heart.
It certainly cannot hurt.
However, there have been several occasions where I have run into the "God Complex" types,
and that has left me with a bad taste.
I fully expect to follow the rules and not be a "violation magnet"
I also expect that I will get a citation at some point, and have to take a day off work to prove my case.
It is for that reason that I would like to know the definitive answer.
:driver:

OSO

Well sounds like I'll be painting my 1953 M139 Bridge Truck camo to get fewer stares try to make it look smaller, after I get my 52" tires mounted up. Flaps and tubes showed up today :jumpin: OSO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks