• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

confused about glowplugs

jag7720

I have been reading a lot of the older posts on glow plugs and I am still scratching my head.

My M1009 is a complete 12v system (I did not do this conversion)
12v starter, one Alternator, 2 batteries and a manual glow plug button.

I am reading that I want to use the Wellman 070 GPs but when I go to http://www.indusadist.com/webmaster_004.htm it says that the 070s are for a 24v system.

So, can I use the 070s in my 12v system?

Also, what, if any, is the difference in the 070 (military) and the 050 (civy) GPs?

mangus580

I think 050 is the wellman civvy #, right? If so, have at it.

John, I think its easier to change the connector on the wire, than it is on the glow plug.

Michael

AC 60g are what GM recommends for all 6.2 and 6.5 engines. They are non swelling and temp compensating as far as I know. They are what I use in my CUCVs and I haven't had any problems. My local NAPA usually has them in stock. I just pulled one of the bad plugs out and took it and the new plugs to a grinding wheel. I few seconds per plug on a bench grinder is easier for me than fooling with the wiring harness out at the truck, but then I may be showing my age.

jag7720

Correction... this one was in the front left. The rest are wellman 070s

AC Delco 151
0 100 271 117 (or 107)
10.5v

Does anyone know if these will swell?
That is what I pulled out of my engine.

Attachments

JohnFire

Had a set of autolites put in by my mechanic that were supposed to be for the 6.2. Within 1 1/2 weeks half of them quit working and most were somewhat swollen. I now have 60g's in the truck. I converted my truck to 12v last year since I have been tired of dealing with starters going bad(burned out or nose cup cracked) plus I had a battery draw.

mangus580

JohnFire said:
Had a set of autolites put in by my mechanic that were supposed to be for the 6.2. Within 1 1/2 weeks half of them quit working and most were somewhat swollen. I now have 60g's in the truck. I converted my truck to 12v last year since I have been tired of dealing with starters going bad(burned out or nose cup cracked) plus I had a battery draw.
Interesting... I just put a set of Autolites in the wife's 'Burb a few weeks ago, and think I have already lost some too...