• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering '86 HMMWV

captcarc

Hello! I have owned a deuce and currently own a 5-ton, but have no experience with HUMVEE's. A nice one for sale caught my eye, and '86 with 4 metal doors and soft top, in great (looking) shape. What's a reasonable price range and should I be looking at a newer rig? Thank you in advance for your input!

Chief B

As far as price, there are a lot of things to consider there. One big factor besides the obvious mechanical condition is if it is already licensed in your state or not. This can be a deal breaker sometimes. I know in Florida they tend to cost more if they're already licensed due to how difficult they are to license. Not sure about TX though. As far as the age, I personally don't think 86 would be a bad age, but you would need to keep in mind the maintenance and probably baby her a little more than you would a newer one.

I picked my 1990 up for 12k and drive her almost daily. I did pay a little more than others that I saw for sale in the area due to the fact that it was already registered, but to me it was well worth it as I have no restrictions on my plate.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the factors to consider is whether it still has the 6,2l and 3 speed transmission, or if it got upgraded at some point in it's life to the 6.5 and 4 speed.
Pictures of the doors would give us a better idea whether they are aftermarket, or original military doors with the supplemental armor on them. The original doors are worth around $3500-$4k just by themselves, aftermarket would be less, maybe $2-$3k depending on style/who made them.

Not knowing any more than you told us, I'd expect it to be worth anything from $10k with 3 speed transmission and aftermarket doors, up to the $20k range with military doors with supplemental armor, 6.5l engine, and a 4 speed transmission.
That's more for my area though, not sure so much what the market is like down there.

captcarc

Thank you both! Great info and I am checking on engine, trans and doors. It is already street registered but I understand that is easy to get in TX now anyway. He's come down to $18. Great looking tan rig but still at the very high end.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since most of them went through rebuild at some point, the original date of manufacture is pretty much irrelevant.

As noted above, TX is "shall issue" for hmmwv titles and tags. No sense paying a premium for already tagged vehicles if you live in TX.

My advice - shop based on condition. Configuration is easy to change on hmmwvs.

4spd trans is worth a premium if you want to regularly drive it over 55mph. 6.2vs6.5 isnt an issue except that the GEP 6.5 is worth a bit of a premium.

captcarc

Since most of them went through rebuild at some point, the original date of manufacture is pretty much irrelevant.

As noted above, TX is "shall issue" for hmmwv titles and tags. No sense paying a premium for already tagged vehicles if you live in TX.

My advice - shop based on condition. Configuration is easy to change on hmmwvs.

4spd trans is worth a premium if you want to regularly drive it over 55mph. 6.2vs6.5 isnt an issue except that the GEP 6.5 is worth a bit of a premium.
Thank you Sir!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks