• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contacted dog head relay connections

tardy_pizza

I was under the dash of my m1028 the other day tidying things up. I had my radio out for a new instrument cluster as well. Putting the radio back in I let it go and it made contact with the starter relay and caused a short. I installed the new one today and went to start it up. I’ve got no generator lights but all the others come on. Turn the key and I can hear it click but no crank. What else could I have fried? Also the dog head relay is done on my truck.

joshuak

I was under the dash of my m1028 the other day tidying things up. I had my radio out for a new instrument cluster as well. Putting the radio back in I let it go and it made contact with the starter relay and caused a short. I installed the new one today and went to start it up. I’ve got no generator lights but all the others come on. Turn the key and I can hear it click but no crank. What else could I have fried? Also the dog head relay is done on my truck.
If you're working with stock wiring, I'd make sure I had 24v coming to the starter relay. After the smoke left you may have fried a fusible link.

Look at diagram F-1 Starting Circuits found in the link bellow.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/cucv-wiring-diagram-color-except-m1010.75505/

cucvrus

Exactly why I never liked the starter relay modification. Too many open positive connections in an entirely negatively surrounded steel environment. I seen a CUCV truck that a quarter burnt a hole in the dash when in slipped down under the dash and contacted a homemade relay. Melted a lot of wiring. I am not sure of the amperage rating of a quarter. But I know a 5/8" wrench left on the starter stud and batteries connected will melt the battery posts. I bought a truck from DRMO with the wrench and batteries still in place. Maybe they were installing a starter with the batteries hooked up. The World may never know. Get a sealed connection starter relay and be safe. Good Luck.

MarcusOReallyus

You likely fried some fusible links. Check the "CUCV Helpful Threads" sticky for detailed info. There's a rundown on fusible links.

I agree with Rick. The Doghead Mod is an accident waiting to happen, and that 100 amp relay is massive overkill. Antennaclimber measured the current at 9 amps, so any decent 20 or 30 amp automotive relay will do the job nicely. Use good quality insulated connectors and life is good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks